Thursday, March 03, 2011

F. I. V. E.

This month marks five years of  blogging for me. "Who knew?" I still remember my first post in March 2006. I pressed the "publish" button with much hesitancy, fear and a dash of anticipation. Little did I know how long I'd continue or how many wonderful friends I would meet. "Blogging 'broadens one's horizons'" is an understatement. I began my blog, I think, as a way of dealing with some of the grief of my dad dying. I talked about him a lot at the beginning. It soon became a place to use the photographs that I love to take as well as a place to write what's on my mind. And probably not more than a day has gone by when I haven't thought of my blog. It's become a bit of a hobby. I'm sure we all can say we look at life a bit differently now, often viewing some life event as "this would make a good blog." It has been enriching and rewarding. My writing and my photography has had some good practice. You know the old adage "practice makes perfect"--or at least improved.  I like to think of my blog as a little room in my house that I tend to. I decorate it the way I like, do some housecleaning occasionally, and sometimes re-wallpaper or change the pictures on the wall. And blogging is for sure a community, totally unimagined 10-15 years ago. I feel like I'm missing something if I don't check in with my blogging friends frequently. And if I don't "see" them, I want to drop them an email to be sure they are doing OK.  The Gardener "knows" them by name, or at least by blog name. Here is one of my first posts, which is fitting as we are in the "spring mode" again.  Five years, or 912 posts ago, I titled this "Tulips on a Garden Path."




As the daffodils fade and azaleas bloom overnight, I frequently remember how much my father and I enjoyed spring a year ago. I'd push Daddy in his wheelchair around garden paths, from tulips to flowering shrubs, until I wearied and we'd settle on the rocking chair porch for a view of the lake. Again and again (at least once a minute) he would point with joy in his eyes and exclaim over flowers, swimming swans, or anything else of beauty around him. What pleasure he experienced each and every time!

Midst a life stage where Dad maybe felt disappointment at how little he could do for himself (but how do we know for sure what he felt?) he experienced a richness of pleasure with his intact senses. And with that he enabled us to experience joy again each time with him, as we would look and exclaim again and again! A gift of grace--so much pleasure at such a difficult time of life! Blessings come wrapped in unusual packages!


Connecting to Chari's Happy to Design for other Reposts

23 comments:

  1. Podso,
    Your blog is one of my favorites. From the first time I visited 'til this very day, it is your writing that calls me to return. I feel your presence in each blog I read. I fell that I've come away blessed; that I've met a new friend, one who understands language and how to use it to reach anothers soul. I wasn't aware that it was out of pain of losing your father that you began. It is my hope that you will continue. Invite us in and fill our souls with your thoughts. Happy fifth anniversary! Thank you for continuing on this journey called blogging.
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Checking in with my "friends" over coffee is my morning routine. And, my husband knows many of my blogging friends--as do my face-to-face friends. Who knew where that first "push/publish" would lead?

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't trade you for anything, sweet Dotsie. And hug the Gardener for me, will you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy bloggiversary! Wow, 5 years. I will say I feel a lot of what you described already, and I'm only on year two. Your writing is lovely and wonderful to me, calming to my soul. I hope you write another 5! You inspire me in my own blogging, and reading you helps me to take the pressure off and just write life. I'm so glad you're my friend, in real life and in "blog life". Heehee...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 912 post?! wow...so much to say and so much of your heart to share with us...what a sweet picture of your daddy you described.
    Rene
    THANKS for the sweet words about my grandbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started in June of 2006 - - - wonder why it took us so long to FIND each other?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you have a year on me! I'm so glad I found your blog. I find your posts always say something to me. We bloggers get to know one another in a different way from other friendships, but I value these as much as any other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post....I think I've been blogging going on 6 years. I too can remember the trepidation of clicking the 'do it' buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I for one have been so blessed and encouraged by your blogging. Such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dotsie,

    Well said. My blog is a part of who I am. I started blogging so that my children would have a sense of who I am/was. Instead I am recalling memories and creating new ones and learning something every day. I have made several close friends as well.

    Very nice post today.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. 5 years! That's awesome! I know what you mean. Something you never knew existed suddenly becomes a big part of your life. This is entire post was so meaningful. It really touched my heart. Also made me think of my own dad.
    Wishing you many more happy years of blogging!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dotsie, this one has tears sliding down my face... I can feel you and your Dad's love for one another. My day passed away about the same time. We did not share this kind of relationship. You had a treasure.

    Congratulations on five years and 912 posts! I am in the first quarter of my third year... and, I cannot imagine not being able to check in on my blog friends. I am so blessed to count you as one. Thank you for that gift. Blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:04 PM

    Your writing is so wonderful! Congratulations on five years of blogging, Dotsie!!!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet post. I like your dad's spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your 5 year blogging anniversary. This post is so special - and the great relationship between Father and Daughter is apparent!
    I just did a post with giveaway for my 2 year blogging anniversary and also remember my first ones well because 2 days before I had no idea what a blog was when someone told me I should do one on my gardens. But I'm always up for a challenge! ;-)
    I lost my Father 2 years ago and did a tribute post to him (Goodbye Dad). I love that I can go visit it anytime and look at all of the great old photos I put on it. Like you I was very close to my Father.
    Wonderful post and I've enjoyed my visit very much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing isn't it, how the blog world becomes such a part of us. The people in our RL (REAL LIFE) often don't know as much about what is going on with us as the blog friends do.
    As someone who does genealogy I look at these blogs as such a treasure. What a great find they will be for someone years from know who will get to know not only names, dates and places but the actual inner thoughts and feelings their ancestor had.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet post. I'm glad you continued your blog. :-) How blessed you were to have those sweet memories of your precious father.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mornin' Dotsie...

    My friend, I sooo enjoyed reading this sweet post about the precious time that you spent with your Dad! Truly a blessing, Dotsie! It reminded me of all the sweet days that I was able to spend with my grandma before she went to be with the Lord! Thank you, dear friend...for sharing this sweet post with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party!

    Ohhh my...I had no idea that you had been blogging for so long, my friend! I didn't even know what a blog was is 2006! Hehe! Many heartfelt congratulations, dear friend!!! I totally agree, blogging has sooo enriched my life as well! My friend, I have sooo enjoyed your sweet blog and I have also enjoyed our sweet friendship! I'm sooo glad that you pushed that "publish" button five years ago!!!

    Love ya, sweet friend!
    Chari

    PS...ooops, I didn't mean to confuse you with my SF's post. That cloche party happened two years ago. At the time of my post, the cloche party hadn't taken place yet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy 5 year blog anniversary Dotsie! I also belive blogging has added a lot of wonderful experiences to my life and I feel so connected to those I have met through it in such a happy way.

    Your first blog post is such a wonderful memory and a wonderful tribute to your father!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow Dotsie. Five years.
    Absolutely giving others so many blessing and riches to gather in your words and photos. Plus watching your family grow. The "little one" was just in God's plans at the beginning of your blog. You'll hit 1000 soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Five years! Congratulations! Isn't it amazing how blogging enriches our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow you are an experienced blogger and have such lovely posts that I have decided I would like to get to know you better so am becoming a follower, I would be touched if you felt the same after your visit and comment earlier today thankyou.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...