Tuesday, February 08, 2011

the runner's wife


They had such a deep love for each other. The kind you read about in books. We only met Natalie once, many years ago, but loved the wife our "best man" had chosen. She blossomed him, if you could use the word in that way about a man. They lived across the country and the Gardener visited his old college roommate only once in these years of passing time. But we got to know Natalie through Russ's letters, which he wrote several times a year. He wrote the kind of letters we would sit down and read with a cup of tea, full of wisdom, wit, talk about his students, his running, his family, and most of all, his beloved Natalie. And so  I grew attached to Natalie through his letters and I learned she was a strong, but quiet woman. A teacher well loved, mother to three and most recently a new grandmother.

When Russ wrote a few weeks ago to say his beloved had cancer and chemo was not an option, our hearts sank down low. We read between the lines and prayed. I loved what he wrote, "I'm about as close to God as I've ever been [and] I'm able to be the man the love of my life needs as she deals with the loss of so much of her life and quite possibly her life itself."

So the news came this week that Natalie had rallied and there was hope ... but then suddenly worsened and quickly slipped away, surrounded by Russ, the children, friends, and beloved sweet little granddaughter. I'm sure Russ is taking a run on the beach this week, pondering his loss but not asking why, for he told us he would not. Rather his question was "How can I love the people around me through this ... and live like Christ in this ..." and indeed he will, with great Hope ... and total confidence that his beloved is in the presence of God.

Thinking of our friends makes me want to avoid petty things and live each day fully, and with gratitude.

8 comments:

  1. Can you even imagine what a wonderful world this would be if we could all avoid the petty and live each day fully and with gratitude? Lovely to think about and make every attempt to practice.

    So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podso,
    I am sorry for the loss of your freind. . .and the void she leaves behind in many lives. I could tell through your writing that you truly connected with her through the years.
    In my profile you'll find the sentence,"Grounded in my faith in Christ which carries me through daily joyous living or tragedy." I have lived through the tragedy and loss of my youngest son. I hope that I left those who knew him, and who know me with the same feelings that your friend, "the runner" has left with you and with us now that we know his story. Blessings on you today and prayers, as well.
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dotsie, I am so sorry for your loss and the loss of your friend, The Runner. His Natalie sounds like she was an incredible woman. You wrote such a beautiful tribute to both of them.

    You have been blessed indeed to have known such people; whether in a day to day passing of life or through letters across the miles, such friends are among life's dearest treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a love story in the truest sense. They (and you) will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was the most touching story I've read in a while. What grace and dignity your friend has. And so wise. I would hope to face such adversity with that kind of attitude. Prayers for you all and your friend.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a most touching testimony to the Lord's love. You gave her a honorable eulogy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a touching story of love. My heart goes out to you, your husband and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such heartfelt words Podso. Yes, we should all take a page from Russ' book.

    I will lift him and his family up in prayer.

    Leann

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...