Saturday, February 26, 2011

daffodil time again


Wow, the daffodils are in full bloom. A little early, I'd say. I went out to pick some to add to the wimping tulips. Jack from across the street saw me and yelled, "What are you doing?" I had already told him a few minutes earlier that I had lost my voice (and suggested if he finds it to let me know) ... so I gestured and used sign language to tell him the obvious. "I understand what you are saying," he yelled to me through the stiff wind that had kicked up. I held the bouquet out towards him, gestured it towards his house, then beckened him to come get a bouquet for his mom. I saw him hesitate, toes on the curb. I knew he was not allowed into the street. But suddenly--aha--we realized we could walk across the lawns around the cul de sac and meet without crossing the street. I believe a sign of intelligence is being able to understand folksy sign language, gestures, and to figure out alternative options.

Reposted from this week, 2008. Just picked some daffodils today and I still miss Jack and his family when I look across the street to where they used to live. Thankfully we keep in touch. See Chari's Happy to Design for other Sunday reposts.

14 comments:

  1. Oh what a sweet memory. We miss you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely how the sight of a flower can bring back memory of friendship....and I see from the above that your friends are good at keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I was a little jealous that you were picking daffodils and we were shoveling snow. Then I realized that Jack is a child and a sweep memory swept over me. When our Adam was about six, his school sold daffodil bulbs. Our neighbor bought quite a few. That spring, Adam arrived home with a bouquet for me--bulbs dripping dirt and all. When I questioned him, he said he "picked" them from Mrs. B's yard. I asked if she gave him permission. He said, "Mom, I didn't have to ask permission. They were mine." After a little explanation, he took them back and together they replanted them. They came up the next year!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Podso,
    What a sweet memory, indeed!
    One summer I kept a second grader, my friend's son. He would help me deadhead the daylilies day in and day out. On his last day with me. .. before school started again, he whispered in my ear, "Miss Pat, don't deadhead the lilies without me. . .(I was so touched thinking he had thought this was our little time together and didn't want me to share it with anyone but him, then he finished)there's a huge black snake that naps in the middle of the flower bed. YIKES! Farm boys! He wasn't at all threatened. . .but knew I would have been! HA!
    Thank you for sharing your memory with us today!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story. And those tulips are so pretty!

    I am here from Chari's party. What a pleasure to find your blog and be your newest follower. :)

    Have a great day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sweet story - - - you tell a story so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flowers NOW??? I can hardly believe it - - - we've still got 15+ inches of snow on the ground, as we have had all winter. In fact, it snowed all day today.

    I'M NOT COMPLAINING - - - I love my winter and its snows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post! I love daffodils too!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet post! I love your fresh flowers! Have a wonderful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dotsie...

    Ahhh...that is so sweet! That you gave Jack flowers for his mother! My friend, your pink tulips and bright cheery daffodils looks gorgeous! We are a long way from daffodils blooming here at my place, but hopefully soon! Thank you for sharing your beautiful spring flowers and this sweet post with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party!

    Hope you're having a super Sunday, sweet friend!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too enjoyed reading this sweet post. :)

    Daffodils already??? Nooooo, we still have snow!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this flash back. Children are such wonders aren't they and memories of them are the best!

    Enjoy this year's flowers!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have daffodils??? Honey, I'm turnin' every shad of jealously green here!!!

    God bless and have a beautiful day!

    Giveaway...my place! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...