Friday, October 29, 2010

Quotidian


When life gets as hectic as it has lately, when there's too much rumbling around in my head, when my body is weary from going and going and going, and when my soul is thirsty . . . the comfort and renewal that can come from doing quotidian things at home never ceases to amaze me. Puttering. The mundane. A simple folding of a dish towel in slow motion.



Washing dishes. Sprucing up something in the house. Mowing the lawn. Working with my hands and not my brain for awhile. It's nourishing and peaceful. Brings me back to myself.

Kathleen Norris wrote in her book The Quotidian Mysteries ... "[God's] divine presence is revealed even in the meaningless workings of daily life. It is in the ordinary, the here-and-now, that God asks us to recognize that creation is indeed refreshed like dew-laden grass that is 'renewed in the morning' ..."


7 comments:

  1. Yes, a thousand times, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true.
    Ironing, hanging out laundry, folding clothes - all of these refresh me. I know it sounds weird, but I need to be grounded and these tasks, right at the heart of my home help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Pondside...it's all about the simple things.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Yes. Yes. Truer words were never spoken. Once more, a resounding YES. The simple repetitive tasks... that's why I like knitting, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how true! God is in the simple things as well as the great. I was glad to hear you played the cello. Too bad we aren't neighbors...I can imagine the lovely duets we could play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lovely! It may be time to bring this topic back as 2010 was some three years ago! I really enjoyed reading these posts where you mentioned that small book.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...