Saturday, October 09, 2010

First Class Feet Again

There's a mesh curtain that flight attendants are very careful to keep closed during flights, even though it's a pain to unfasten it as they move about the plane. It separates the first or envoy class from the "common folk." You can see through it, but I guess it's a barrier/reminder NOT to use the envoy bathrooms. That's against the rules. But, apparently, tourist feet by themselves are okay to go through the "great divide."

When we waited in the "preferred flyer" US Air lounge in Gatwick this week, the young woman behind the desk worked her craft to get us into Row 8, the "bulkhead"(with my very tall husband's medical history he has some "clot clout"). She claimed she got us the "very best seat." (Was God reserving it for us? Where were the babies that needed it for their cots?). The deal is, with four seats across, the row end seats in the bulkhead have nothing but space in front of them. Ah, stretching room! Right under the curtain and into first class went my tall husband's feet. No complaints from any sensitive envoy noses either. His feet rode first class the whole way across the Atlantic! Does God have a sense of humor or what?


I first wrote this just over four years ago. I'm thinking about this as the Gardener flies to the other side of the world later this week and again we're praying for good seats for his long legs on a very   l  o  n  g   journey. 


Connecting to Chari's Happy to Design for Sunday Reposts.

14 comments:

  1. Good post. Wishing the Gardener a very safe trip.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping the Gardener's feet get first class treatment once again. My whole body once flew first class from San Diego to Atlanta as did my five month old son. We took the "red eye" --luckily he slept the entire flight--and it was only $5.00 to upgrade. Those were the days!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been curious about 1st class. Is it really worth the extra money? I'd love to give it a try!!

    Love the cloud picture...are they coming or going?

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea. Hope his feet get the same treatment this time. Most of my flights (in country) are all coach-I haven't seen first class in years!
    Take care!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that rather more of him gets to fly in comfort! I've never tried first class, but I'll bet it's a treat on a long flight - do let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this post so well. When I was flying to California a couple of weeks ago, I was wishing I had a seat behind the bulkhead. Thankfully, no swelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My tall hubby and I always get those seats if we can. You just have to agree to help everyone off the plane in an emergency.
    I am claustrophobic and can not sit by the window or in the middle so it is the aisle or the bulkhead. The aisles get blocked too so I really count on getting the bulkhead so as not to lose my marbles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At 5'2" I do not have to worry about leg room. But, I have family members that do so your story hit home.

    Wishing your gardener all the space he needs and hoping a short person will trade spaces if his assigned seat does not have it.

    Thanks for the visit to my hat post and the lovely comment. And, yes I wish that women still wore hats as well. Church has not been the same since hats went out of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dotsie...

    Well my friend, no doubt that God DOES take good care of us! Loved your story...it's funny that the Gardener's feet traveled first class...all the way! Hehe! I love the bulkhead seats as well...I'm 5'11" tall and I love the breathing room for my long legs! I have flown quite a bit but I think that I have only had the luxury of those seats just once or maybe twice. And...I have never flown first class.

    Prayers being sent your husband's way for a great trip, Dotsie! Thank you so much for joining in with Sunday Favorites this week!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fun repost! I hope Gardener has a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it funny how little things make the biggest difference in our lives. Plus the blessings of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm hoping for the Gardener's good blessing again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, funny! I think I'll go to sleep tonight smiling at that story, lol.

    And for some reason you remind me of similar seats that my husband and I occupied on one flight, but a stewardess sat facing us. She looked so nervous during take-off and landing, it really freaked me out. I kept wondering what she was afraid of that we didn't know about!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It appears His shoes "were made for flying" - - - - first class!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...