Tuesday, October 26, 2010

a little visit


Today I said good-bye to my mother as she got ready to play Bingo. She's never played  B-i-n-g-o  before in her life, not that there's anything wrong with the game. A lump crowds my throat each day when I leave her in the Care Center where she lives right now. While hope remains that she will return to independent living, I know that may not happen, and it's hard to adjust to the idea. It's difficult to accept that we may have reached this point in her life.

Time slips by quickly when I visit. Other residents besides mom love attention and hunger for any contact.

Great fun it was when Little One joined me in a visit to her Great-Grandma (who she calls "GREAT-grandma"--with emphasis on the "great", yes she does!) She brought much joy and many smiles, not just to mom, but to all the residents. Every single person noticed and enjoyed her. And it was amazing all she found to see and do ... from hiding her dolly in G-Gma's mailbox to driving the walker here and there and making it into a hiding place. She was not nonplussed at all she saw, taking it in stride.

The next day Great Grandma and I discussed the visit and remembered all the details again. Joy!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Podso,
    I can definitely relate.My Mom had to move from her home four years ago and it was very difficult in the beginning but thankfully Mom settled fairly well and she is happy there and it is a good place if you need the care.
    I hope all goes well for your Mom.

    Take care,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The passages of life always bring change... seems most are difficult to adjust to and accept.

    The Little Ones do bring JOY, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Podso,
    What a touching post! You are living in the middle of life. On one end, your Mom and at the other that little darling. Both sides of life are precious and fleeting.
    I found this post so profound!
    Give both of them an extra hug
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious times. But what times aren't? Please give your mom a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Children and pets can certainly bring much joy in those circumstances. Hope you are having a great day. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have been where you are now...enjoy every moment you can. What a ray of sunshine you and your 'little one' must have brought along with your visit at the Care Center.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a poignant photo and post. Blessings to all three of you as you enjoy each other's company...it's a good thing when several generations can spend time with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning! How nice your Dad played the cello! I too love its deep rich tones. Yes, I play the cello also, just at home and once in a great while at church. Love it though! Our son plays the violin...I used too a little, but switched to cello and have no regrets....=) Do you play cello or another instrument?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...