Saturday, October 23, 2010

how a woman thinks



I was standing by the hospital elevator having a conversation with a grandson of my father's college roommate. As we said good-bye and I walked away, I thought to myself, "What a moment." To think that some 65 years later, old friends' offspring would happen to meet more than a thousand miles from the college connection. That's the sort of thing that gives me kind of a thrill. One of those rare, random encounters. Later that day at dinner with my brother and his wife, I related the incident. My sister-in-law piped up, "I know exactly what you mean. I always wonder when I'm in an airport or in a large crowd, if I'm passing someone I know, or someone related to someone I know. Those possible just-misses are fun to think about."

"I think about that too, in similar situations," I continued, " What if I just passed, say, the son of an old college prof? Who knows how connected we all really are?" The Gardener and my brother looked at each other, totally stymied. 

"Must be how a woman thinks." Or, at least these two women.


Photo: My dad (front right) and some of his college buddies (before Mom arrived on campus). They apparently had many formal events to attend. I just found a letter my dad wrote his parents his first year of college in which he informed them he had purchased a tux because he knew it would be cost effective.

Reposted from three years ago this month. See Chari's Happy toe Design for more Sunday Favorites

15 comments:

  1. Too funny!! We were in airports in Victoria, Seattle, San Fransisco and Las Vegas this week, and in each one I wondered who I might be unknowingly passing/missing.
    It must be a woman's mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that women typically crave human connections more so than men? Or do men just not want to admit it? :=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't feel a trip is complete unless I run into someone I know at the airport. Much more likely to happen in Maine than in Florida...

    I like those connections in this harried world.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can add me to that list! Thinking about such things is fascinating to me; I wonder about these connections often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful photo! Sometimes I think we think too much! lol! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband was constantly running into people he knew; me not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love the crazy connections that we make. We've even made odd connections with people while living overseas - it's a small world indeed! -diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats interesting...but I don't know if I'd have thought of it! The photo sure is interesting, I enjoy seeing the clothes of 'yesteryear'. Lovely, but modest. Wish there was more of that today. Cultured...thats the word I'm thinking of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend Linda always runs into people that she knows no matter how close to home or how far. Could be a close aquintance or a friend of a friend.

    Too funny hunh?

    And yes, I think just like you my friend.

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a woman thing I think. I often think the same way or am really amazed when I meet someone that has been to the little hometown I grew up in in Arizona...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, it is a small world afterall! Don'cha wish the boys would all buy tuxes these days?!
    Have a great week!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dotsie...

    Hmmm...maybe it is a "woman thing"! Hehe! I often think the same thing. I love the photo of your Dad...he looks quite handsome in his tux! Loved seeing the ladies pretty formals! Thanks for joining in with the fun of Sunday Favorites again this week, dear friend!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love his white shoes. Evan has some like that!!!
    Love the dresses too. They seem to have hoops underneath. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The connections and "chance" meetings always intrigue me, also... must be the way a woman thinks.

    I love your button photos!! And, I think the taping of the screen door WAS level headed and logical! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like a dress like that. With a bow. And full skirt. Wait... That's what my wedding dress looked like... (Minus the poofy sleeves...)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...