Saturday, August 14, 2010

sweet home

I popped into my mom's today to help her with a few things. Whenever I open the door to her little apartment I am filled with a sense of being home. Though she has condensed her 60 plus years of married life into a small apartment in a retirement center, it is still my parents' home. Familiarity is all around. Furniture, family heirlooms, familiar pictures I've seen all my life, a particular scent ... it's all there to instill peace into me, even after all these years of living away from home. Walking into her house is like being served a silver platter of comfort food.

And of course there is my mother's soft voice. She's always there, ready with advice (and I still go to her for some). Though our roles are switching a bit these days, she still mothers me. I often hear, "Be careful."

I don't take for granted still having a mother on this earth, and being able to "go home." I thank God for this incredible blessing and the feeling of security it continues to bring.

There's nothing so sweet as being able to phone her and say, "Mom?"

Photo: Sunday afternoon at Mother's ... the Gardener is napping.

Reposted from Aug. 2007. Check out Chari's Happy to Design for more Sunday reposts.

12 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post. And I LOVE seeing your husband's suit jacket on the back of the chair. So comforting to think of him being so secure as to take a nap. I know of a couple of rocky marriages, just now, and reading this post does my heart good.

    I so enjoy you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There truly is nothing like going home. How blessed you are to have a good relationship with your Mother. I enjoyed a wonderful relationship with mine,too -- and that is a precious gift. Have a lovely Sunday my friend!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are both blessed to have a mother still here to say 'be careful'. My mum lives far away, but she and my dad spend the winters out here. I love to be able to pop in on her for a cup of tea - and you're right....her apartment smells like our family home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet memories for me on this Sunday morning. I miss my mother but have her memories all around me.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought tears to my eyes. My parents live right up the street from me and I see them or talk to them almost daily. It made me realize that time passes quickly and how quickly things may change.

    Enjoy your Mum!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter what, "going home" is such a comfort! I am grateful everyday that I still have both of my parents with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:20 AM

    So wonderful! I feel the same way when I walk into my Dad & Mom's home. :)
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post...I wish my almost 89 year old Mom lived closer so I could pop in to see her...cherish every minute with her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you reposted this, Podso - - - I missed it the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dotsie...

    What a sweet post to reshare for Sunday Favorites, my friend! Isn't is funny...the familiarity and comfort we receive when "going home"! It truly is a blessing! Both my parents are still alive...and I love going home for visits...although those visits are so far and few since they live in Texas! Wished I were closer!

    How are you doing, my friend? I do hope that my note finds you well! Today is the first day that I've really had a chance to get to my blogs. My daughter and grandchildren left yesterday...my house is sooo quiet! Now I will be playing "catch up"! Hehe! So happy to see you for Sunday Favorites, Dotsie!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked your post because it spoke to my heart concerning my mother. Dad passed away 4 years ago and since that time I try to call Mom nearly every day to check on her. I'm so thankful I still have her close by.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...