Sunday, August 29, 2010

For Lease

Last week I sat in a tiny cubicle, head bent down, studying my pink toenails. The thought that the polish was fading didn't even enter my head as I focused on bigger issues. It was one of those moments when your life flashes in front of you and your mind wanders to contingency plans. I was called to a follow-up ultrasound after a questionable mammogram. I've always dreaded breast cancer. At least three friends died at a much-too-young age from it. Many others recovered and are alive. Was I now about to face it?

For those brief moments of waiting my mind began to separate out what was important in life and what I could do without doing. Then a young woman came to get me, explaining things clearly and kindly. A small candle glowed. I peeked into it. Fake, but a good fake for sure.

Whatever the technician was looking for was playing hide and seek. "If it's just a cyst, I should see a clearly defined circle." I couldn't help but watch the screen with her. When she found it, it was not a clearly defined circle, but more of a blob. She went off to find the radiologist. It had been a busy day of work for me across the road at the hospital and I was tired. I tried to rest, but realized I was fighting fear, though I had felt peace in the days waiting for this test. What I saw on the screen had not been a clearly defined circle so my mind whirled with what may lie ahead.

The radiologist came in. Out came the needle and a tube. For once I turned my head away, not wanting to watch this one. Eventually the news was good. I was suddenly exhausted. Maybe I was more stressed about this than I realized. I just wanted a drink of water and a nap. I walked across the hospital grounds to the parking deck at a slow pace for me. I had been given a new gift of life but was surprised there was no spring to my step. I didn't even call the waiting Gardener right away. I just needed to process this new "lease on life."

At supper I poured water slowly from a pitcher into my glass, watching the sparkle, and listening for the tinkling sounds of water splashing into the glass. Everything seemed crystal clear as, for a change, I took my time at life. And for the first time I realized what the expression a "new lease on life" meant. I'd never thought about the use of the word "lease" before. It suddenly had new meaning. Our lives here on earth are totally on lease, and I'd just renewed mine.

14 comments:

  1. Sweet friend...not sure if this is something that happened recently or not, but it sounds fresh to me.

    Just wish I could've *been there* for you, but it looks as if you handled it famously.

    I think I heard your sigh across the miles.

    Much love (and relief for you)....M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've put into words just exactly how it feels. Whether it was recent or long in the past, I know that the relief is a feeling that can be instantly conjured back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you have a new lease on life. You have a fresh way of saying things that always grab me. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very glad it all turned out good for you, Podso. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thankful for your renewed lease. The processing of this kind of news is exhausting... I am witnessing a dear friend going through a similar circumstance with a spot on her lung... they are "watching" it now, but the weight of that hangs on her daily. Your fresh, clear, renewed outlook is inspiring... we should all have such awareness of our "leases."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dotsie: How well you expressed that feeling of waiting. Is the technician taking too long in looking at the screen? Did it take that long last year? Feeling some relief in leaving the clinic only to wait for a phone call. Hoping it won't come. That soon a letter will arrive saying all's well. Come back next year. I'm grateful for your new lease!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear friend, Thank you so much for sharing your story and your take on things. It also made me think. You are very right, this life is not ours to keep forever... but the blessed assurance of eternal life is!! What a gift both are.

    I am so thrilled that you had good, no great news. I share your joy!
    xo Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post! Although the subject of the post is a scary situation all too many find themselves in, the manner in which you've described the whole incident is wonderful. The same thing happened to me two years ago. A regular mammo and then a sonar that took way too long, a blob that I had to wait for my regular doctor to explain to me. Turned out to be a cyst, and this year, another one has formed, but I've been told there's no need to worry about them unless they start to grow in size. Glad to hear all is well with you. Wishing you all the best, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad all is well! Enjoy your new lease on life.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I kind of held my breath as I read this one and am now exhaling, thankful with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You write about your experience so well that it comes alive for your readers. I'm so glad the news was good and your lease is renewed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God is so faithful to us and He is so good to us.
    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to let you know that I am happy for your good news, Podso. I believe that our lives are all just part of a plan designed by a higher power, and we have little control as to when we leave this life. I plan on living my life more fully, these days- I saw what a grinding halt my DH's almost came to earlier in the year.
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. I truly loved this post. Encouraging. Even at 25, contingency plans float through my mind for probably mostly silly reasons. You're a wonderful story teller! I was in suspense, even though it's a short story! So happy you got good news.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...