Wednesday, June 02, 2010

a nurse and a sailor


Alfred Eisenstaedt of Life Magazine took the famous photograph (below) of a sailor kissing a nurse on August 15, 1945 at the end of the second World War, in Times Square. There's a huge statue right now in a Sarasota (FL) park that is a replica of the photo. Since we recently celebrated nurses' week, and now Memorial Day, I thought it would be nice to have another look at this famous image. You can tell from the statue that she is wearing stockings, or "hose" as they used to be called, but the photograph tells the real story of the seams in those stockings. 


How many are still alive that remember having to be sure those seams were straight?

7 comments:

  1. I've seen that statue! We go to that part of Florida every year. Hope you're doing well.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first pair of hose I had were the kind with seams. they were a gift and I was only 13 and my mother woudn't let me wear them.
    They came in a nice box with tissue paper. Funny what an impact they had.
    I love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. I didn't know about the statue, it is amazing as is the iconic photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The statue was quite controversial for a while. The artists who have their works displayed along that boulevard and walk were quite incensed that it was included as art. I think it is wonderful and enjoy driving past when we go downtown and there is always a crowd standing around having their picture taken.

    I do remember those seams and garter belts.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness I was on the "cutting edge" of pantyhose! I remember my mother always fussing with her "seams". I also remember our neighbor who, apparently, didn't have a garter belt but had a fabric-covered elastic that held her hose just above her knees. I can't imagine what they did for circulation!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I didn't have to wear those, but I bought a pair with garters for my wedding (just to be sexy).

    Loved, this photo - just watched Pearl Harbor last night.

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is another such statue in San Diego, in a little park on the waterfront near the USS Midway, which is now a museum.

    Have you seen Letters to Juliet yet? This famous old black and white photo figures in the opening scenes....(it's a wonderful movie, by the way).

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...