Tuesday, June 08, 2010

another sad farewell


Soiled blue jeans with holes in the knees and other boy clothes, sweaty wrestling practice clothes, baseball uniforms, shirts stained with jeep oil, red clay covered no-longer-white socks, pretty new curtains, tablecloths and napkins, sheets and towels, and more sheets and  towels ... I look at the knob on this machine and get nostalgic thinking about all the stories and memories I could connect to this knob that I have pulled out, twisted and turned and pushed in a thousand times or more. And now after 26 years of faithful service, wash load after washload, with NO repairs (thank you Kenmore), my wonderful washing machine has to be replaced. I knew she was living on borrowed time, and for the past two years I would often say a prayer as I began a load of wash, requesting more time with her.


I know new machines don't last as long so I was a bit fearful to think about purchasing a new one after all these years. But I'm actually a little excited now that the new machines are on their way. They are very straight forward with no bells or whistles to play with––I'm just so glad to tackle the mountain of laundry that has piled up and have some clean clothes.

It seems to be that time of life. Lots of changes everywhere you look.

9 comments:

  1. My condolences on the expiring of your trusty Kenmore. Our first washer and dryer were Frigidaires. The washer had an up and down agitator. It was perfection. They were "born" in La Jolla, CA, traveled with us to Texas, South Carolina and lastly here. They, too washed all that you did x 2. I am quite certain that we won't have the longevity with the new ones even though their load is now cut in half!

    Happy washday!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know one could find very straight forward washing and drying machines these days....kinda like cell phones.

    You have a very pretty laundry room. Wish mine were so nice...it's just a corner of the garage, and currently in great need of being de-cobwebbed! Not due to lack of use, but just because it's the garage where the daddy long legs love to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even your laundry room is pretty and neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...your laundry room is a treat. :) And at the same time, sorry for your dead appliance(s). You say machines in the plural are on the way, so assume your poor dryer is on its last legs as well.

    But NEW STUFF! What fun! Funny, but when we've bought new appliances, the old ones look so tired and draggy.

    Btw, I always get Whirlpool, and the new ones aren't as heavy and don't seem to be as enthusiastic, but still....NEW STUFF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Podso...I have a lump in my throat. She was so faithful!! And the memories! You should send a picture to Kenmore!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to do laundry!
    I love a good washing machine and I love a clothes line! It is organic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you like your new washer! We have a front loader that's all digital and I am a bit fearful about it going bad eventually. You are right! They sure don't make 'em like they used to!
    Thank you for your sweet comment about my chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you like your new washer! We have a front loader that's all digital and I am a bit fearful about it going bad eventually. You are right! They sure don't make 'em like they used to!
    Thank you for your sweet comment about my chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read through your lovely reflections of the past couple of weeks. Love the broom story! I sweep our balconies all the time ... so much dust, and it is easier to sweep it than to waste water trying to clean it as so many other people do. Everyone here has maids because they are inexpensive; but I choose to do everything myself. People think I am crazy. Oh well! Hope you are have a wonderful Wednesday. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...