Friday, June 11, 2010

The Grace of Patience

We generally buy a flat or two of impatiens each spring for our rather shady yard, and did so again this year. But not quite so many. After so many years, even though we pull them out when the first frost kills them, seedlings must get around and pop up from time to time really anywhere in the yard. Last year we made several later-in-the-summer pots of impatiens harvested from some that just showed up in the yard.



So this year the Gardener says, "Let's not buy so many and just wait..."






Here you see a magnified view of the tiniest of leaves, the beginning of some impatiens popping up in our yard.







We already planted one small plant from a random growth and it's doing well, waiting for others to join it.










And these gorgeous hydrangeas have taken at least three or four years to reach this beautiful peak of beauty. The photo doesn't do their deep purple justice.

And after a three-year wait, our peonies bloomed a good show, and then disappeared.

Someone said patience is a virtue. It's not always easy, but in the case of our yard, has certainly been worth the wait. I have some other things I've been waiting for for many years, not always so patiently, but I know it works best to let patience play the bigger role. Much grace arrives when we do. 



The Lord's mercies are new every day. Great is His faithfulness.

12 comments:

  1. Well said! The world would be a better place if we all practiced patience.

    Those little impatiens are amazing. I brought a big plant in the house for the winter and put it in front of a very sunny window. Not only did the plant survive, but one little impatien in the pot, who clearly was different from the rest of the pack and enjoyed the blinding sun!!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hydrangeas are so beautiful!! Someday I will try to garden and give my brown thumb another chance. LOL I also need to give myself permission to have more patience. I am not very good at that...
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hydrangeas. One year a friend and I went to Madison, Georgia where there are some lovely antebellum homes...Sherman spared them in his march to the sea.

    One house had some of the bluest hydrangeas that I had ever seen. When I had the film developed, they were white. I couldn't believe it. The guy who developed the film had altered them. Seeing yours makes me want to go back and see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love impatiens. They were my mother's favorite flower. We have two varieties of hydrangea that are white but turn a pinkish orange in the fall. I don't seem many blue ones around here. it must be the soil. When I was in Massachusetts and Rhode Island last summer, everyone seemed to have massive plantings of the most intense blue hydrangea that I've ever seen. I wondered if they dried that intense blue.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers are wonderful, and hydrangeas that deep purple are my favorite.

    As to your impatiens...you're fortunate to have such shade. With our sunny setting, we have to have bright perennials. I do love pretty shade-loving flowers though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...meant to say, your rainy background is wonderful. Make me go, "WOW!"

    Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podso, I didn't know impatients would come back if you let them! See, the things you learn while blogging is mind boggling!!
    Thanks for writing today.
    Enjoy your weekend, what's left of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found you through Cass's blog...
    So glad I did!
    Your flowers are wonderful...
    Just lovin this time of year!
    Keep it coming Lord!
    Stop over when time allows...Love to have you too!
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patience must rule the heart of the gardener, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Podso... The are serious words of truth! I have Peonies that won't bloom this year, and new hydreageas whos blooms will be too big for their little branches and will lay in the dirt. But every year I catch myself thinking about next year.. bigger and better!
    Have a Great Weekend in your Beautiful Garden:-)
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:34 AM

    Truly, beauty comes with patience.
    Wishing you a very happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This inspires me to try impatiens where I now have geraniums, that do not do very well, it's so shady in that particular spot. Amazingly, we actually do have shady spots even in Southern California!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...