Saturday, June 26, 2010

Six Cent Lesson

I needed to mail a letter to Australia. I stuck an 84-cent stamp on but knew it needed more after the postal increase, so made my way to the post office. I looked in vain for some notice about postage increase numbers. If I knew the amount I could use the machine to buy the addtional postage. And of course the line was long, but I joined it. It's a pretty uptight place and dead silent, so I didn't have the nerve to force my way to a window to ask the simple question. Most likely it would not have been simple as there would be a discussion about the weight of the letter.

As I waited in line I was simply sizzling inside, fussing to myself about such a huge waste of time for one letter.

Wait! "Remember," I asked myself, "the times when I was in the habit of considering such lines and other unexpected 'wastes of time' as unclaimed opportunities?" It's all in the attitude, and I reprimanded myself. And then my eyes and ears opened wide. The music playing in the background became a melody. I studied the people around me. Did the woman two ahead of me pay a high price for her hair highlights, and did she know it was time to refresh the color? The heavy set weather-beaten man at the counter sounded so irritated that something wasn't working right. I wondered what all these things were that people were taking care of...so few were simply buying stamps or mailing packages.

I soon realized that I was relaxed and enjoying the time to look around and study people. I thought maybe I should spend some time praying, when the line moved quickly and I found myself at the counter. The lady charged me six cents while she excitedly showed me the new 90 cent overseas stamp. Just arrived that morning.

Will I ever learn? What a difference in my attitude and countenance as I sailed out of the P.O. ... not frustrated and angry, but actually a bit refreshed! And I only spent six cents for this lesson!

Reposted from two years ago. I'm still learning this lesson! See Chari's Happy to Design for more Sunday reposts.

13 comments:

  1. I hope I can take this as a "lesson well taught" and utilize it the next time I'm in a line.

    Have a great weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent lesson! The trick is to remember to practice it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how much is an airmail stamp now?
    90 cents?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sweet lady...

    Well my friend, I dare say that was $.06 well spent...as you said! You are so right, Dotsie...our attitude can make or break us! I think maybe the "waiting" is easier as we get older...don't you? I've slowed down quite a bit...there's not such a rush to get things done or to be places at certain times these days...it's nice!!! Anyway, I really did enjoy your post...such a sweet message in it! I hope that you're having a wonderful weekend, dear friend!

    Love ya,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been forcing myself to slow down and think about things while I wait. And this is a major feat for me! LOL

    Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dotsie, You are certainly correct - attitude is so important and just changing our focus can make or break a day. Thanks for the reminder!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Podso,

    I love the title of the post. If all life lessons were so inexpensive...its all about re-adjusting our attitude. I've been trying to live in the moment. Its a much nicer place but our mind keeps going back in the past or starts worrying about the future. Love your post. Thanks for sharing. (Cute little droplets on your background, very refreshing).

    Anne-Marie :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a GREAT post and such a "timely" (pun certainly intended) lesson.

    Here's another place: waiting to be seated in a restaurant. Some people turn around and leave if the wait is too long - - - I try to use the wait time as part of the "fellowship" of going out with friends and the wait then seems really short.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't get the comment button to work for me.
    Glad I kept trying. I had to right click on it and have it open in a new web page.
    I was trying to practice your zen like thinking while attempting to comment but I gotta tell you it wasn't working for me. Lol.
    When I am driving and I miss a light or some one flies by me and cuts in I always tell myself that this is where I am supposed to be. Maybe if I had made it through the light I would be in a bad situation further on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story and lesson to learn. My BF reminded me recently that nothing is a "waste of makeup and gas" and every minute of my time has value. Sometimes I just have to stop and remember that.
    Thank you for reminding me, again.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some days I know this, some days I don't! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! Lovely lesson, worth far more than you paid for it!

    thanks for the smile, AND the reminder.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are good to remind us of what is important...the attitudes of hearts.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...