Thursday, October 18, 2012

a little of this; a little of that


The Gardener was away and it was the perfect evening to celebrate a birthday with girlfriends. 
(We could lower the lights and enjoy candlelight without the men 
complaining they couldn't see their food.)  :-)
 I brought out my old wedding china, still in perfect condition. 
Is it my imagination or are daisies popular again?
I've not grown tired of these! 
Autumn flowers from the garden and from a friend's gift to me.
See all the little bowls? Waiting for toppings for the curry. It's a really fun meal to serve.
Chicken curry, or "Daffa Duka" (a recipe I got from Kenya, supposedly 
meaning "a little of this and a little of that) ... curry is popular in many countries:

1 chicken boiled and cut up (or use chicken breasts ... whatever)
2-3 apples peeled and cut up into small chunks
1 C chopped onion
1 clove garlic
2 Tb. oil
Cook the above for about five minutes then add
2 Tb. flour
3 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
  Add 2 C of milk and heat through well til sauce thickens

(I often halve again this recipe, and add a little chicken flavoring.)

Serve over rice with the following toppings at room temperature:

Topping ideas (I never use them all) --best chopped into small size: 
chopped hard boiled eggs
strawberries
chopped peanuts
red onions
seeded grapes
orange slices
mellon
bananas
 sweet peppers
dried noodles
raisins
chutney*

A chutney I prefer: one can of small chopped tomatoes, drained.
Add 1 Tb. sugar, 2 Tb. lemon juice, 1 Tb. vinegar and 1/2 C finely chopped red onion.
Best to marinate in frig for a few hours and serve at room temperature.

One thing I have learned over the years is to let toppings warm up to room temperature, 
otherwise adding them to a hot curry will cool it down too quickly.

I hope you'll try this if you haven't had it before!


16 comments:

  1. Beautiful and delicious! I can't really remember exactly what my wedding china looks like! I think it might be time to reconnect! Love the daisies. I don't think they ever go out of style.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have always loved the daisies on china!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to have a dinner for your gf's. I LOVE curry! The Indian curry is my favourite, but I also love South African curry, yours sounds wonderful, though. And your chutney sounds really lovely!
    Hugs, cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apples added? Now, that's a twist. Must try that.

    You had an African stew awhile back and I never made a note of the recipe. Do you remember? I'd love to try something new soon.

    And, btw, esp. love the second photo from the top, where we can see your wallpaper and into, what looks like, your breakfast room. Your house is so pretty. Would love more of a tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday dear friend!!! What a lovely way to spend it!
    The table is so welcoming... it's wonderful that you still love your wedding china... I do too!
    Thanks for the recipe~ I don't make curry... but this recipe looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe that I am brave enough, though I know many in my family who would love such a meal. What is it about men who can't see their food? You'd think that their wives had poisoned them before or something. Ha! Your china is wonderful. I never received a set of wedding china for either wedding. I think I'll go order the tea pot that goes with my grandmother's set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this kind of meal where one personalizes their dish. It makes for delicious food and great conversation.
    Men and lighting at the table - must be a universal thing, mine is the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you and your girlfriends had a wonderful evening and meal. I hope you have a lovely weekend. Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Dotsie
    This would be a meal I could enjoy with girl friends too as hubby doesn't like curry. Sounds delicious, hope you had a good time together.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. It wss delicious! I would never have guessed apples were IN it. Thanks for a lovely evening and such a wonderful dinner. Now I have the recipe in my files.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very lovely table setting and the food sounds yummy too~

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah W6:49 AM

    I always love to see your table settings! Whether they are simple or elaborate they are always beautiful!

    Sorry, that deleted one was me, I didn't know it wouldn't put my name if I used my google acct. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea! Birthdays are always a cause for a great celebration. Mr OP will love this recipe - thanks for sharing!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a delightful post dear blogger, saw your pic on another site and just had to come across to meet you... you sound like great fun- and I'm sure fun was had by all yesterday evening, and isn't it such a lovely thing to be able to share time with like minded friends, a few moments caught forever. thank you for sharing it with us, and amazing you still have so much of your wedding crockery still unbroken>> best wishes, J

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we may have the same china, Dotise! Mine has yellow daisies on it in the same pattern.

    Your chicken curry recipe sounds good! I'd love the sweet potato and peanuts toppings

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...