Tuesday, June 29, 2010

wishing for blue



Whenever she looked into a mirror, brown eyes looked back out at her. How she wished they were blue.

I knew the story about Amy Carmichael wishing her brown eyes were blue, but had forgotten about it until I recently reread it in a little article written by Chr*stin D*tchfield. As a little girl,  Amy begged God to change her eye color to blue, believing He could do anything. But He chose to keep them brown. Years later, as a missionary in India, Amy dyed her skin with coffee, and with the gift of her brown eyes, blended in well with the people with whom she had come to live, to serve and to share God's love.

I believe in God's providence, as Amy did. Her brown eye story is a good one for me to remember. How often do I wish that certain things about my looks, my work, or my house, for example, were different?  But I can trust in God's loving providence, knowing it's all in His plan for my good (even though it may not seem like it now.) Some day I'll understand a whole lot more, just as Amy did about her brown eyes. And, by the way, my eyes aren't brown or blue.

Amy worked with orphans in India for 55 years without going home to England for a break. Following an accident, she was bedridden there the last 20 years of her life.  It was from her bed that she wrote many of her books, some of which are my favorite treasures.


(not my photo) 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that post. It certainly hits my heart, and aligns my attitudes.

    What an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that story, and it makes me do a double-take as well. God always knows best, though I often think I can do better.

    Silly me, eh?

    Have a good day, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes are neither blue nor brown either. I'm going to look up more of Amy's story. I try very hard to let God have his way. Too often, though, I feel the need to help. I'm working on that.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Needed that :) I've been looking for some "beach reading" for our vacation...I'll have to head to Christ Our Shepard and see if they have her biography. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few years ago I read a biography of Amy Carmichael by Elizabeth Elliot. She was an amazing woman. I was interested to learn recently when I read Lillias Trotter's biography that the two of them became very good friends, though they never actually met each other but corresponded by letter.

    Kind of like bloggers sometimes do...

    But I'm wondering how one goes about dying one's skin with coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has mentored me deeply that she is in my Hebrews 11 chapter! I can't wait to meet her in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An inspiring post! I also loved your "Six Cent Lesson." It was thought-provoking and uplifting.

    Hope you and yours have an enjoyable 4th!

    Regards,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...