Thursday, January 19, 2012

spud boats

So my mom and I were waiting for her bloodwork in a crowded waiting room. 
We were forced to found it amusing to watch a segment of RR 
cooking something my mother has made as long as I can remember. 
RR called them "fully loaded baked potatoes in another form."
 My mom calls them "potato boats."
Apparently influenced, that very night I found myself making potato boats 
to go along with our salmon. First you bake them to not quite done.
Over the years I've learned to boil some water in a pot where I will mash the
 potatoes, mainly to get the pan heated up, leaving just a tad of the water at the bottom of the pan.
Carefully slice the potatoes in half and  c a r e f u l l y  scoop the 
potato into the pot, leaving the skins intact.
Mash them with salt, pepper, butter, sour cream, whatever you want. RR 
added sharp white cheddar cheese and horseradish! My word! So under the power 
of influence, I added some grated cheese to the mix.
Fill the potato skins with the mashed potato. (Hint: I sometimes bake a small
extra potato so the "boats" can be a bit full ... they are prettier that way. My mother always 
sprinkled with paprika after adding a slice of cheese on the top. 
Bake 'til heated through. RR added another step--she wrapped the boats in
bacon x 2 and baked them on a rack! That's a bit over the top in the
cholesterol department, but I think it was for super bowl or something festive.


20 comments:

  1. Oh, they do look good! I haven't made "spud boats" in a long time! Next time I do I will have a new name for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum used to make these all the time and I probably did many years ago - time to try them again. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Podso, these look very yummy - - - ship one over, will ya???

    Hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any kind of potato I love! Forgot about these. You may have just put me under the influence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the way I like my baked potato. My mother called them twice-baked. I am particularly fond of the skin and this way of baking them twice makes the skin tastier--at least in my mind. Maybe it just reminds me of my mother.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do look so very tasty, Dotsie!! Oh, my! So not on the diet list. LOL! I wish I could be perpetually slim and eat all that I would like to gobble down! I like the tip about heating the pot to mash them up in! Very clever. Enjoy some for me. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made these one Colombus day and called them potato boats. That's been their name ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up eating potatoes every night, but none as special as these! It looks like a a few potato boats will be in my future :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, that looks so yummy and fantastic to try for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious Podso, a little extra work but the finished potato would be nice with any meal.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your potato boats look very delicious! I love potatoes, too, they are by far my favorite starch. I don't care much for rice or pasta.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious...I've always called those "twice-baked potatoes." I think "potato boats" is my favorite name...never heard that one until now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhhhh, those look amazing. I may have to pick up a couple of potatoes for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look so delicious! I've never made them as baker potatoes are hard to find here. You wouldn't believe that potatoes are grown here and in nearby PEI but the good ones are shipped elsewhere. There will soon be PEI baker potatoes in the stores so I'll have to remember this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To answer your question: My dear friends and I all (four of us) have very close January birthdays. We take turns hosting our party.

    I had The Baker pick up some baking potatoes on his way home this afternoon just in case the snow keeps falling and we need some comfort food.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Podso,
    These appear to be an easy fix? So~o~o...I'm wondering...would they bake well in my Hall gratin dishes? Thanks for the recipe!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. They sure look good...but I must admire from a distance. A bit lazy here and can't use cheese in them if I did. Cutting a butternut squash in half and baking it is more my speed. I do make baked homemade French Fries. After all this protest on my lazy part...I'll probably try it...maybe?? Have a great day....=)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is ONE of my favorite ways to eat potatoes...we do bacon bits on top...yummy!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  19. My grandmother and aunt made these too. I do also.
    Tell me more about heating the pot up!!!
    Smiles,
    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for coming by. I am trying to get back in the "groove" after the ups 'n downs of the last couple of weeks.:-)

    Those "potato boats" look fabulous. I need to make a couple of those.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...