Wednesday, January 11, 2012

spin cycle

Part of my laundry routine used to be to throw my weight across our little too-full apartment-sized washer during the spin cycle. It decreased the banging and clanging and rocking. Otherwise I thought the shaking floor would bring our elderly landlady flying up the stairs to check out the clatter. To me such a set-up was better than carting everything to a laundry mat. When we lived in Africa, I learned how to wash clothes in a bucket or agitate them with my feet in a bathtub, or, far more easy, push each item of clothing or cloth diaper through the wringer into a rinse tub with my spanking brand-new, but old-fashioned wringer washer. Then they were hung on a line in the sun and hopefully dried before the afternoon rains. It seems however I did the laundry all those early years of married life, it left a lot to be desired, at least in my mind

For 12 years now I've gratefully enjoyed a small laundry room on the main floor of our house. It's really painless to use. But I  do    l  o  v  e    laundry rooms --- looking at state of the art ones in magazines or on blogs. I think to myself: wouldn't it be wonderful to have a sink next to the machines? A folding table? A place for the ironing board? Maybe some extra cupboards for storage or space to do do extra food preparation or craft projects? How about a hanging chandelier?

These thoughts attacked ...  and that's all I wrote to this post awhile ago. Where was I going with this? If only the spin cycle in my active mind would remember. LOL. But meanwhile we interrupt this post to tell a sweet story, sort of on the subject of laundry.

Little One was visiting earlier today and saw a clothespin on the table. It was immediately called into action as a princess--with a napkin ring being the tiara. I asked her if she knew about clothespins. Remembering how as a child I loved to play with my grandmother's colorful plastic clothespins, I grabbed more pins, some dishcloths, and a little piece of rope. We hung up a clothesline and began to hang out the laundry. The cloths quickly became different colored princess dresses, and before long we were packing them in my little red suitcase and boarding a train and collecting tickets and unpacking our dirty clothes into a laundry basket to be washed and dried on the line.
I had explained to Little One that sometimes instead of using a dryer we hang clothes outside on a line to dry in the sun. I think she got the concept. Suddenly I heard her singing "Sing a Song of Sixpence..." I thought she was just happily singing a song as she hung out the "clothes." But when she got to "the maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes..." I realized her active little mind had made a connection.
Her baby brother was simply enthralled with all the activity.

12 comments:

  1. How cute! Isn't it funny how are little mind made that connection? I used to love hanging out clothes with my mom, although I'd have to get a lawn chair to reach the clothes line. Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just too cute. Interesting how she made the connection too. She and her brother are so sweet with their big eyes. I'm sure she'll remember this when she grows up and has her own laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your early means for washing clothes must make you pretty grateful for what you have now. I always wish for a nice, clean room to do mine in...don't get me wrong, my laundry room is clean (and even smells nice), but it's in the basement of this old house, 2 flights of stairs and I loathe doing laundry.

    I do remember the sunny days of watching my mom hang clothes outside and then twirling in them! Your granddaughter sure picked up the process fast. Those little geniuses!! The are both so precious!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. So CUTE! Have to show this to Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who needs store-bought toys when you have a grandmother with a clothes line and a bevy of clothespin princesses. Not to mention an adorable audience of one wide-eyed baby boy. What fun!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dotsie,
    She is such a sweetheart. I miss hanging clothes on the line - especially sheets and towels. There is no substitute aroma on the market that can match it.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Dotsie, doesn't it just delight and excite you the way their little minds work? I am constantly amazed at the connections they make and Little One is a perfect example of that with her song. LOVE this post... Love that you are blessed with time to share with them. Makes my heart smile. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Such a sweet post! How I wish my little granddaughters lived closer so I could enjoy these little things with them! :)
    Have a happy one, Dotsie!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet post! I love it and your darling little grandchildren could not be cuter.
    You've had some interesting experiences in your life, living in Africa?!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so sweet - I love that you are showing her the simpler things in life. I LOVE to hang out our things on the clothes line behind our barn!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Make believe with Grandma can be so much fun.
    I've had that kind of washer too, an unbalanced machine with attitude. And, I remember only too well the wringer washer from home and until the day she entered a nursing home, that's what mother still had. They had an awful time finding a new one when the old one gave up the ghost and I mean @ 10 years ago!
    One of the gals I went to school with had long blond hair and one day when she came it was all chopped off. I'l always remember the tears in her eyes when she said it got caught in the wringer washer. Ouch!
    Judith

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...