Saturday, January 14, 2012

comfort in a bowl



The older I get the more I enjoy a cold, cloudy, rainy day. I always think, "This is an English kind of day," and remember our visits there. Maybe it's because I always long to slow down and it's much easier to stay home in bad weather. I'm all for coziness, too, which comes more easily on such days. And then there's soup. Always better on a day like today with cold rain and even some sleet earlier on. Love it! Tonight I started our soup with a tuscan white bean soup from a package and then added all kinds of things. I was intrigued by what was written on the label of the package, and I must credit the brand: *lessi. It said, among other beautiful comments about soup, "There is a saying in Southern Italy that ... translates to 'Soup does seven things. It relieves your hunger, quenches your thirst, fills your stomach, cleans your teeth, makes you sleep, helps you digest, and colors your cheeks.'" And I'll add that it's a great decongestant, and, for some reason just brings one comfort!


Reposted from four years ago this month. 

13 comments:

  1. ... and, you can knit away the day guiltlessly when the soup is on! LOL! Love those rainy days too... and the sunny ones... these days, I'm happy for everyone, no matter the way it comes. Have a wonderful weekend, Dotsie! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. that should be every one... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you re enjoying those cold, rainy/snowy gray days. There are things I save to do on those occasions. A favorite is to sit by the window and read.
    I'm just about to put on a pot of soup.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way a good pot of soup scents the whole house - and as Tanna says - you can knit or read or do what you want, guilt-free!
    Last weekend it was Ham and Bean Soup, then during the week it was Fridge soup, with a beef inspiration. This week I think it will be chicken. It all depends on the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a very dreary, drab day yesterday. Just the kind of day to stay inside in pajamas which is just what I did. Made hubby crazy cuz he likes to go, go, go all the time. I made a big bowl of pasta -- my boss went to Italy and brought some back. A bit of olive oil, butter, parmesan, onions and zucchini and I had a big bowl of comfort, too. Yummo! Best wishes to you, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soup really is a comfort on cold days like these. I made taco soup last weekend and have eaten it every day for lunch. Warms the body and soul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm I want to find that recipe...being Italian and all you are speaking my language and reading it from a package =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes! Soup is all that and more. I remember my mom bringing me turkey soup when I had the flu, and I swear it was the cure! I love to cozy up on a yucky day and make soup too. I freeze a lot of it for those lazy days or when I'm too busy to cook. You are making me hungry! Have a lovely week and stay warm and cozy!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dotsie,
    I am making potato leek soup and knitting. It is chilly here and soup seemed like a good idea. I could eat soup every night - not so the Jack.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Podso
    Yes, one of the best comfort foods one can have. I just made a vegetable soup a couple of days ago and never make it the same twice.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so right, soup really warms you up when you are chilled. It's snowing pretty hard outside, so soup sounds extra good today! I love tuscan soups.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Staying inside, reading, blogging, knitting, and writing seem to do the trick for me on dreary days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmmm, just the kinda thing I need on this 'grey' day here. We have another winter storm movin' in here tonight.

    ...and we thought Old Man Winter was hidin' this year. Heeehehe!

    God bless ya and have a warm fuzzy kinda day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...