Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Life!

The King's Kids, in all shapes and sizes, gathered at the front of our church this past Sunday, standing tall or sitting straight, while waiting expectantly for the music to begin. When it did, their faces spread into huge smiles and their hands began to expressively sign the words of "Glorious Day." One after another came to the front of the group to take his or her turn to "solo" sign portions of the song. Graceful hands. Loving eyes. Shining young faces raised in joy-filled worship.

One January Sunday each year our church especially salutes Life. This year it chose to have our special needs Sunday school class lead the congregation in worship. When I could pull back from the worship for a moment, I thought about how the parents of these young adults had chosen life, and how these kids had brought––yes, many challenges––but also much joy and gladness. No hang-ups, no pride, no prejudice ... just pure and selfless love comes from the hearts of these wonderful kids––love for others, and love for their Heavenly Father.

As tears poured from my eyes, I couldn't help but notice others wiping their eyes as we watched the King's Kids' delight in worship. A standing "O" saluted their work as they high-fived each other and headed off the platform, each one accompanied by a caring adult mentor.

I'm so proud of our church's care for families with special needs' children. It's called "His Abilities."

Photo of some of my Lakeshore Block Play People. I love how this company includes diversity and little doll figures with special needs. My young nieces gifted me with a small collection as they know I'm not too old to play!

8 comments:

  1. Hello Podso
    What a moving performance this must have been, you belong to a very special church.
    I've never heard of the little dolls you play with but they sound like a good teaching aid for little ones.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a service that must have been!
    I have always been grateful beyond expressing that the birth mothers of my two children chose life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is moving to read your word about this service, Dotsie... I can only imagine how grand it would have been to hear their voices and see their faces! Beautiful post... blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can just imagine it. How wonderful for you all. With a little grand who has some special challenges, I'm taking a close look at the Play People. Off to Google!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful and moving that must have been. Those with special needs have so much to offer when given the opportunity. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful experience that must have been, I would have been crying my eyes out too!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post brought tears to my eyes too. I love "Kings Kids" that's a great name. You are referring to your children's choir - right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...