Thursday, December 02, 2010

no elves in a row here

Our house doesn't look like Christmas yet, except for the tree up, thanks to our kids helping at Thanksgiving. I am trying to take life as it comes and not wish to have all my Christmas "elves in a row" like they have been in other years. These days I'm consumed with moving my mother to her new home in assisted living and then cleaning out her apartment. Every step I take holds memories dear, and even some new things to discover about my parents. It's not just moving ... it's much more, and something that cannot be done overnight.

And a poignant moment: as we were literally moving some of mom's furniture to her new room, just down the hall, in a room quiet except for soft music coming from a small cd player, a friend's mother left this earth. I was so glad I could leave my task and go down to be with her for a bit.


And for some reason, comfort came from a photo e-mailed this morning from a friend in England. I've stayed in her house and know this scene out her window ... somehow it brings a smile to think of her snowed in--snuggled down with her hot tea and blankets.

11 comments:

  1. Your header is a joy--Little One and her cup of Christmas tea!

    I know a bit about what you're experiencing with your mother. My sisters and I had that task to fall upon our shoulders. Fortunately, mother was very amiable throughout the whole down-sizing move. In her last five years, she came to live with us. It was a joy and I miss her very much.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just spent a week with my parents and I think the downsizing day is fast approaching. It will be in their time, with our help, but it will be a time of remembering other moves with them.
    There isn't a decoration up in my house yet. Perhaps this weekend. Actually - it has to be this weekend as I'll be back on the road for work from Sunday until the day before the kids arrive from the east!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty peaceful with the progress {or lack thereof} that I am making in getting ready for the holidays. It happens...it always does, whether I am ready or not.

    I am so sorry for your loss...and I wish you the best in getting your mother all moved and and happy.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sweet post....bittersweet, you know? Change is always pinchy, but thankfully (as per your English photo), there are perks along the way.

    Take care, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that Jeannette's house?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know-
    I feel like this is a Christmas of change.
    We are all moving at our own life's pace.

    You are doing good.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read on another blog that the writer was having Christmas "fall softly" upon her... that is my hope for all of us this season... May it fall softly on you, too, Dotsie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:05 PM

    I thought I'd left a comment yesterday, but apparently it didn't save. So I'm back... :)

    Things are moving along at a much slower, gentler pace for us since our children grew up and moved into their own homes. I hope your mom is comfortable and that you take your time sorting the apartment out - remembering to take time out for you & to enjoy the season.
    Sending hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  9. The assisted living sounds very nice. My Mom had a lovely 2 room apt with a tiny kitchen. She loved keeping her independence, we all liked it so much! Sounds like you are very busy, I enjoyed your post pictures and thoughts. wishing you much joy this holiday season....Maggie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hot tea and blankets are all I want in life these days. Despite the lack of snow in our southeastern town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Walking with you in my thoughts as you go through this process. May you be filled with peace and the assurance that you are doing all you can do and caring for your mom excellently. I pray that you may continue to find blessings in unexpected places. Much love.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...