Wednesday, December 08, 2010

do you hear what I hear?

It's amazing how here in the (currently frigid) sunny south, the slightest hint of a snowflake or a touch of sleet can cause the "it feels like Christmas" spirit to swoop down onto all things. A cold, chill-to-the-bone drenching rain added even more to that feeling as we went into the city the other night for Christmas at the symphony.

The crush of cars and people (a big football game was taking place) and the Christmas and city lights shining even brighter in the rain, caused us to think for the briefest of moments that we might be in the "big apple." Sharing the evening with friends added to the festive time.


We climbed up to the "nosebleed" section where we had an excellent ariel view of the jazz pianist's hands on the keys, working his craft. This evening has been a traditional birthday gift to the Gardener over the years, but last year he missed most of December homebound with the agony of shingles. So this year, it was doubly sweet to snuggle close to him as we shared the delight of the sounds of Christmas. I never take his company for granted; his sitting beside me is something to thank God for every day.

7 comments:

  1. Your comment "I never take his company for granted" gave me pause to think. I sometimes take my husband's company for granted. I'm going to be more aware of my blessings in having him. Thank you!

    We have the Christmas at the Symphony tomorrow evening. Also snow in the forecast.

    I just got off the phone with my Florida sister. "It's feeling a lot like Christmas here." "What's the temperature?" "A bone-chilling 35." "WHAT?????" It's all relative--and the temperature here is 9 degrees.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tradition. Your post will give many of us pause to think.
    I'm away for work this week, but tomorrow my Great Dane will join me over here on the mainland - that thought has kept me going all week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dotsie, this post brought a tear to my eye. Just yesterday, I was going through some old cards and letters sent between my beloved and myself. Reminded me how very sweet and precious having a wonderful husband is... and how very grateful I am. Thank you for a reminder today, too. So glad you had a Christmas-y evening with your Gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. The big things and the little things are all there to remind us what we have. Sweet, sweet post!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for reminding us to enjoy the moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know...until you just mentioned it I'd forgotten about the Gardener's illness last holiday season. That *was* hard. I remember it well.

    This year sounds wonderful, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have so beautifully reminded us to treasure anew those we love!

    And...I can't help wondering, who was the jazz pianist?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...