Tuesday, December 28, 2010

staff



Every afternoon around four o'clock there's a rustle at the door and the sound of a key turning the lock. The door swings open. The Staff has arrived. It's the highlight of the day.

Yawn, the rest of the day is pretty boring ... lounging on the couch, staring out the window, an occasional romp or attempt at mischief.

But this time of day is best. If it's the Tall One, there's usually some lingering to play a bit. If it's the Mother, there is some sweet talk but not a lot of petting, and she seems a bit preoccupied. Fresh water, clean litter, more food. Then watching while they make quick dash in the Closed Door Room to water a plant. A chance to run in there and hide in hopes of extending the visit a bit.

Before you know it, it's lights out, alarm on, key in the door, and away They go. Quiet house again.

........................

I'm not a "cat person" but we are taking care of our neighbors cats for an extended period of time. I feel sorry for them alone all day. Occasionally they leave us an overt message of displeasure, but for the most part it's going well and I'm adjusting. I'm even finding them a little cute. Like when I check the house for their mischief and they run from room to room with me like little children showing off their good behavior. I noticed that they waited until the day after Christmas to start undecorating the tree. Could they know?

But I sure I understand why some say that "Dogs have masters and cats have Staff."

not my photo

10 comments:

  1. My husband works at home with a staff of four cats monitoring his work day. They seem to know that he brings home the nibble and litter for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love the statement of cats having "staff" instead of "masters." Most interesting about taking down the decorations after Christmas... hmmmm... maybe they know more than they are letting on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine....Miss Oreo ...is snuggled at my feet on my bed right now smiling at your post. Meow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We leave Jingles home alone when we go away for a few days and she is just fine. Ornaments on the tree are still too much for her to resist, so I did a simple tree this year and didn't put many balls or dangly things to tempt her. I think she wonders why we are home all the day long right now since we are on winter break. Will she be lonely when we go back to school next week? She'll probably sleep extra to get over the stress of it all. HA! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, cats have staff. And they are very good at training their staff to obey their commands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well our Alley has "her boy." She is not his per se (not sure that's how you spell it) - he is hers.

    Happy New Year!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed. They have a way of working themselves right into your heart. When we got Color, Sarah had just finished fourth grade. Don thought the only good cat was a dead one, but that soon changed. They had a routine like no other. Whenever she heard him open the garage door, she sat there waiting for him to come in and reach down and pet her.

    The day he died, I believe she truly grieved with the rest of us. Then the day came when she left us. I still miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Correction--dogs are masters!! What a good neighbor you are!

    Have a wonderful new year and I'll see you next year.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Podso,
    I do petsitting on the side and I often wonder how lonesome they might be. I think you have it down! My own cats are sure glad to have me home again and stick to me like velcro. And yes, I'm definitely staff! Now to boost the fat one off my chair so I can curl up there myself!
    Happy new year!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Podso,
    Yes. . .cats have staff! And YES. . .they know it's time for the tree to become un~decorated. I've owned and loved CATS all my life. I'm just certain that when I reach the heavenly gates, along with my Master, a cat will be waiting! God bless you for caring for the neighbors cats in their absence.
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...