Saturday, December 04, 2010

again, messy deeds

The other day I lingered in bed after the phone call came telling me I could stay home from work. The luxury of sleeping in tempted me briefly, but is easier said than done when my mind begins to work. I wiggled my toes and stretched as I thought of the luxury of unplanned free time. The gift of a day. Maybe I would just spend the whole day reading. Or making a few Christmas cookies. Definitely time for myself.

Then I remembered an elderly friend who had been rushed to the hospital the night before. I should check on her and maybe I should take my mom along with me to visit her. There was someone else I needed to visit in another hospital too. And find a plant to take to her. And then there was another older lady who I needed to help with a change to a new drug plan. Suddenly my day seemed to be planned for me as I hopped out of bed to start it. I decided, OK, this would be a day of "giving to others." I pictured myself serenely gliding through the day, bestowing acts of kindness on others like the sprinkling of fairy dust.

Well it certainly did not turn out that way. I did do what I needed and wanted to do, but it was a big case of one thing can lead to another. Throw in the mix holiday traffic, not finding the right plant at the store where I thought it would be, and dealing with some extremely inept insurance people on the phone for an hour reducing me to tears. The day deteriorated rapidly.

I came home with a splitting headache many hours later (long after I would have arrived home from work). I had a talk with myself on the way. What led me to believe that acts of kindness come wrapped in ease? Did I think I was owed a "smooth sailing" just because I was helping others? Nowhere does God say our doing good for others will be pain free. If anyone knows about that, He does.

One of my prized possessions is a little soup bucket. The story, as I understand it, is that my great grandmother used it to take soup to sick people. I have a mental picture of a tiny Dutch woman in her heavy brown cape, walking down a city street carrying a little pot of soup and probably a basket of bread too. My soup bucket reminds me to think of others. My guess is that she didn't have an easy time with her good deeds either. 

Originally written December 2007. I still find helping others is messy, don't we all?
See Chari's Happy to Design for other Sunday favorites.

9 comments:

  1. Real life - real Christmas, real children, real cooking, real loving - is messy. It's staying the course, as messy as it gets, that makes the difference. It sounds like you're staying the course - like your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But still, sweet thing, tuck in some Dotsie time. :) Your Gardener would like that for you as well.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and meaningful post. I know others were blessed by you in spite of your hard day. Thanks for reminding us of the beauty of giving, even when we don't feel like it.
    Hope you're having a better day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful.
    The gift of a day to gifts for others of kindness and giving to them when in need. You have done that for me ~~ yes, fairy dust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Messy, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friends like you are truly special in one's life. This post has made me stop and think how I need to step in and make a difference to someone. I'm going to look for a "soup bucket" to accompany me around town.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podso,
    A day of giving back-it's so good to do now and then. It is so valuable to the recipients! I love your soup kettle. Soup is the universal cure for many things. I just spent the afternoon making - soup!
    Have a great week,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dotsie...

    My friend, I remember this sweet post from last Christmas! I'm so glad that you chose to revisit it...it has a very real, and wonderful message! I have found that, more times than none, that doing a good dead always costs...but sooo very worth all the effort! Thanks for sharing this sweet post with us this week for the Sunday Favorites party!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mm. I needed this reminder. As if helping, walking alongside others is supposed to be smooth and feelsy goodsy and fancy-free for me. Then the focus of the help wouldn't actually be another... but rather it would be me. Oh dear. I have so much to learn. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...