Wednesday, December 15, 2010

altered soup


Brrr ... it is cold outside.  A friend said today that 15 degrees is a lot colder to a southerner than to a northerner because our old bones we aren't used to such cold, nor do we have the "equipment." For instance, today I wore a fleece jacket which is usually adequate for our winters. So we layer underneath. But realistically, how many layers one person wear? We have to be able to move our arms, etc.!


Seems like all I want is to do is slurp hot soup or sip hot tea or coffee. I made what has become one of my favorite soups the other day. Here's my altered recipe. Each time I make it a little differently, of course ... and it's a healthy soup for sure.


Salmon/Sweet Potato Soup
1 large chopped onion sauteed in
3 Tb butter; add:
1/4 C flour
3 C chicken broth
2 C milk
1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 pound skinless salmon fillets (or chicken pieces) OR canned salmon, which I use
1 small broccoli stalk cut into small pieces (I used fresh spinach instead)
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper


I sauted the onion, adding the sweet potato after a short bit. And then I put it all together.


Stay warm!

9 comments:

  1. To set the scene, it is currently 1 degree. That is not a typo--1 degree! Did I mention the wind is blowing? That makes is more like -15. I am a southerner and we detest wearing coats. I have, however, through the years learned how to keep warm.

    I like every component of your soup and have everything needed to make it. Well, one of us will have to brush away about 6 inches of snow to get to the fresh thyme. I even have what I need for cornbread to go alongside.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so good on this cold day. I'm a Southerner too so I second that. This weather chills me to the bone! Thanks for sharing some warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a true southern girl. I really dislike cold weather. The soup looks soooo good. I am going to make it tonight . Thanks for the eggplant recipe. Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nasty cold here also, and your soup recipe sounds good. I'll try it with chicken &...we have a bag of sweet potatos just needing to be used. I've stayed inside two days now and don't miss that bitter cold.But... I'm off to the library soon to pick up my books though with hubby. I was at Barnes & Noble browsing, and 2 books really looked interesting. I went home and located them online at our library...for free.One has the cutest aprons to make. Don't you just love it! Free stuff I mean...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I' sorry it is so cold there, Dotsie AND Bonnie! Brrrrr! It was 23 degrees here Monday morning, but it is 75 degrees right now! LOVE IT! The wind is howling away and it is supposed to get cooler again, but I am grateful today!

    I'll have the perfect soup recipe when the cold strikes again. (I like your idea of spinach over the broccoli; just seems to fit better). Thank you so much and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh this sounds amazing...I wish I could come to your house for lunch =)

    Hope you enjoy your Desert Rose dishes as much as I do. I actually just bought a new set for everyday dishes, Italian Countryside by Mikasa, but I love my D.R. for special occasions. I can't wait to get some tablescaping ideas from you as you use them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, your soup sounds perfect for a cold winter's day! It looks pretty too, in your blue and white soup plate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks wonderful - where is the smell - o - version of the computer?

    Merry Christmas my Friend!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa Felch5:25 PM

    I just pulled this recipe up for some lenten fare. Bookmarked it ages ago! It smells delicious. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...