Sunday, December 13, 2009

ornament transformation


Somehow some oversized blue Christmas ornaments ended up at my house. They don't go with my tree and I was about to goodwill them when I spent an extra hour in a doctor's waiting room. I leafed through a current issue of GH while trying to remain calm about this total waste of an hour. In the magazine I happened upon a clever remake of similar sized ornaments--well actually they may have used styrofoam balls. I loved the idea and went for it.

Two sturdy rubberbands are placed around the ball, as above, to hold in place the ribbon that the ball will hang from. Make sure you like the length of the ribbon.

Take a fourteen inch square of fabric, pull up on  four corners and wrap around the ball, holding it together with a ribbon tied in a bow.

It only takes a couple of minutes once you have your supplies together.
They call these "kissing balls."


I looked them up and learned they are related to mistletoe. A sprig of flowers would add to the simple beauty. Sometimes they are made with flowers fashioned into a similar small ball and used in weddings. I was delighted with the transformation!


For more Transformations, see Between Naps on the Porch's Metamorphosis Monday.

10 comments:

  1. Those turned out so, so cute! Aren't you glad you didn't get rid of them...that's my problem...too many things that could be transformed!
    I loved your kitchen window post...such a pretty place and I liked the part about clearing your head doing dishes...whenever I don't know what to do...I head to the sink...there are always dishes...
    Merry Christmas to you and your gardener!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! Glad your time was not wasted.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I have extra balls leftover from the ornament wreaths everyone is making this year, and that's a great idea for them.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:17 AM

    Love these! I think I'll try making some!

    :)
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those. It looks easy enough to make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are darling.

    thank you for the comment you left on my blog...I am glad you found me too! I will be following along and would love to hear your adoption story sometime as well as your work in Romania.

    Merry Christmas!

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very clever idea and I can see all sorts of possibilities with different fabrics and ribbons and even sizes of ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey what a cute idea! They are adorable; I think they'd look especially cute hanging in a kitchen -- I'd leave the little check-fabric one up all the time!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ms.P...

    Now...aren't you the clever one!!! What a fabulous idea...I love this!!! I think everyone has a few ornaments that they just can't use anymore because of color or maybe they've just seen their better days! Great way to repurpose those ornaments and I love all the options...since there are sooo many beautiful fabrics out there! Not to mention...who wouldn't want a pretty "kissing ball" in their home! I know that I do..."Ohhh, honey...can you come here for a minute?" Hehe!!! I'm always up for ideas on how to get a kiss!!! Hehe!!!

    Thank you for sharing this great idea, my friend! Your kissing balls came out fabulous!!!

    Warmest wishes and Christmas Blessings to you and your family!!!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...