Wednesday, November 18, 2009

double eights


Today my dear, beautiful (inside and out) mother celebrates 88 years. I am blessed to still have my mother with me. There is nothing like hearing her voice on the phone when I call her each day, or entering her little apartment when I visit. Even though it is not the home I grew up in, it is filled with the things I grew up with, and as old as I get, and even as our roles have switched in some ways, when I open that door, I have the sense of being "home." It's always a wonderful comfort. Eight years ago my mother was diagnosed with ocular cancer. We are so thankful she is healthy today, and still reads voraciously.

Not long ago I bought her a beautiful pink book. In it she is busy writing the story of her childhood and youth. It's become exciting to take a peek at it and talk about things I never knew about her life. What a treasure we will have for years to come!

Happy Birthday mom! It's Italian tonight, of course.

6 comments:

  1. Please tell your mother hello and happy birthday for me. What a treaure you have. I know you cherish her and all those things in her apartment that remind you of your growing up years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:54 PM

    Happy, Happy Birthday to your Mother!!! I read your words and feel very much the same way - my parents are a joy to know.

    Have a beautiful day,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Podson's mom! Wow, 88 years, thats quite an accomplishment. You are truly blessed. My mom lives with me and I know that I as well am truly blessed.

    Enjoy the birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see a bit of you in your mother. Or it should be the other way around. Bon Appetit!
    I do see your dad in you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to have your mom. I hope she has a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessing to your mom on her special day.

    I just mailed the book today. Look for it in the mail at about 7-10 days. Let me know if it arrives safe and sound =]

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...