Wednesday, April 08, 2009

a moment stood still


We were in a terrible traffic jam. Vehicles barely moved; our driver turned his van off again and again to save fuel. It was a good opportunity to view the sights around me, while trying not to breathe in too many toxic fumes. We were nearing the end of the worst of it when I noticed two mothers sitting on a bench across the way. One was feeding her baby, and the other one just sitting holding her baby. Her eyes reached across the rows of congested vehicles, and met mine. In a matter of seconds I saw a flash of her dress as she weaved through the cars, trucks, vans, and motorcycles. Just as our van moved forward she was at the window, holding her baby's hand out, her eyes locked on mine. I felt badly as the vehicle moved forward, leaving her in the dust. I had no Kenyan money, no food to give her, I felt helpless, while I knew I had great wealth compared to her. All I could do was look deeply into her eyes. I'm sure she has long forgotten me, but the image of mother and child, hands outstretched, remains in my mind.

(Lower photo not mine)

2 comments:

  1. We all need to come face to face with someone like that to realize once again how much we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:38 PM

    I have had that experience with Filipino's wanting some money while in a Jeepney, bus. or coming up to our car...it is hard not to give...when you know they are so poor. We would give a small bag of rice if we were in our car...but really what is that compared to all our wealth....makes one think...

    Barb S.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...