Friday, April 03, 2009

a day in the city




On our way home we enjoyed a brief day in the city. We drove around downtown looking for our airline's office.
And then a walk along the road to our company offices. It brought back clearly our life in Ghana so many years ago. We stayed at a Kenyan guest house. The hostess was up by four a.m. to give us our breakfast and send us off for a long day and a half of travel home.

It is no secret that one carries a small roll of TP when you travel around in Africa. I got to the airport and realized I probably no longer needed this, so took it from my purse and tossed it in the trash. Then I took a picture (I can't help myself with this photo-taking). Then I realized how weird that might look to security if they happened to be watching. "Woman removes item from purse, places in washroom waste, photographs it, and leaves..."

As it was, security was very tight coming back into the US. I was pulled aside to be searched, along with a young man who could have been suspicious looking. After the search, they combed through my carry-ons. How embarrassing. No one else had this happening. Except the young man. What was it about me? (I think this was before the bathroom photo). The Gardener had a pleasant thought: "Well, you notice they let older folks go through easily. Obviously they thought of you as a younger woman." So funny, he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...