Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dinner Invite


Finally got some spring/summer flowers in.  It's not my favorite thing to do. I mentioned to the Gardener that if I had a "potting shed" or even a "potting table" the job would be more enjoyable. As it is, kneeling in the grass, carting soil and tools here and there, etc. ... well I am much relieved when the job is over and things are looking pretty and tidy again.

Then begins what I call the "Spring Dinner Dance." It's as if I've opened wide the gate to invite all rabbits, birds, squirrels, and whomever*, to come nibble at my new flowers. I've seen them come, I know they do, and I see evidence of their feasting. I am almost so sure that even the day I did this, I turned my back for five minutes and a flower was already half eaten.

Eventually they get used to it and aren't as eager to nibble. Over the years I've found that moth balls, while not making the plants all that attractive to humans, do deter the little creature diners. The only problem with moth balls is that the birds love to dive for them, and transfer them to other places that don't need their protective nature.

Dinner anyone?

P.S.  *I've discovered one of the "whomevers" is our darling, much-loved by many, 15 year-old dog. She has taken to digging in my newly-planted bed of flowers. Never once has this happened before.  She has either dementia or Alz...  And I think I could pretty much now write a short book on living with such a pup.

1 comment:

  1. I understand. We're overrun with squirrels too, and Mabel likes to bound through all the flower beds as she chases them. So if the squirrels dont eat things, Mabel squishes them.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...