Thursday, March 12, 2009

around my world

A garage door closes on my mind, or so it seems, at the end of some days after working at the hospital.  By the time I arrive home my patients are a dim memory, my mind is so occupied with the next concern on my plate. But there are occasions when certain patients stick with me, and their memory remains clear. Those days are special. Most likely there is a reason for remembering. The diversity of people I care for is simply a gift from God, for I love variety.

Today was one such day. In fact, the array of patients I had was tied to the international side of my life and were interesting to contemplate. First I had a Chinese couple (well, I care for the babies primarily, but the family definitely comes into play). I felt a tie as I have friends who live in China, two uncles and an aunt who died there, and a wonderful, delightful Chinese niece. My next family was American, but lives in LaPaz, Bolivia. They came here to have the baby. I have visited LaPaz, know people there, and from that city traveled on the world's most dangerous road. These folks sure knew about it; in fact the brand new dad has ridden his motorbike on it more than once. So there was  a connection. My next patient was from Congo. When I was a girl, my mother's cousin lived, worked and raised his family in what we then called The Congo. It later became Zaire, and now again is called simply Congo. This was the fourth child in this family and the mama appreciated my understanding of African life. The final international family included a mother who is from Kenya. A look of wonder, joy, and some envy crossed her face when I told her I was going to travel to her country in two week's time. She gave me some advice for visiting there.

I had two "fully American" babies and families as well, but to tell the truth I can barely remember them, these other four stood out so strongly. These are the days I feel blessed to have my job at our large urban hospital. And am thankful for the rich cross cultural experiences I can have right here in our fair city.

2 comments:

  1. That is sooooo cool! What an interesting day you had!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed interesting how God prepares us for each day, isn't it. I know those patients must be so appreciative of someone who understands them and their culture.

    God does truly connect us with others in so many interesting ways.

    Love your photo at the top.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...