Friday, November 06, 2009

R E S T


A patch of sunlight? Stop and rest! So begins The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan, a book we all read, appreciated, chewed on, and discussed at our book club on a chilly fall evening.


"Think of your meals as a gift from heaven. Nourish your spirit and body together." And so we did as we gathered around a festive table to dine on butternut squash soup, bread, salads, and amazing fruit desserts. We stopped from our busy schedules and rested in the nourishment of good food and what we have been reading.

It is such a great book, so readable, full of illustrations and not at all preachy. It makes us long to rest, as we understand it is not God's choice for us to be busy all the time. "Embrace that which life gives ... to cease from that which is necessary." "Busyness robs us of knowing God." "When we stop caring about the things we care about, it is a signal we are too busy." "Acknowledge that every moment is a sheer gift from God." "Busyness conjures up the conviction that we are necessary."  And many other thoughts worth quoting. I wish I had read the book when I was younger.

We shared our hearts, and encouraged one another to be more intentional in sabbath rest. Letting go of all we think we have to do, letting God "still" us, and enjoying just being. Sometimes just sitting, savoring the world around us, even if it looks like we're doing nothing.

There is so much more to this little book. And it all started when the Gardener found it at Good Will for 50 cents. As he read it he would exclaim or share portions, and continually recommended we read it for our book club. I think we are all glad we did!

5 comments:

  1. This is good...I need to think about this...thanks for your sweet encouragement over the last week.
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to spend an evening.The book and food sound good too.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the book club so much last night. Thank you so much for inviting me! I'm probably not going to post about it. My pictures didn't turn out well. I shouldn't have used the flash!
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a book I need to read. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I hope to visit yours again soon and spend some time reading old posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:58 AM

    Thank's Podso for savoring the evening for us a little longer by your beautiful pictures and writing...it was a blessing to bask in the beauty, friendships and good conversations. BLS

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...