Tuesday, August 13, 2013

pre-school

It's been such a busy summer for us that time flew by and it suddenly hit me that school is about to begin. This year Little One goes to kg, so before that happened we needed to have a "grandma day" totally to ourselves. We went to the library and got books and later that day read all ten of them. One of the books we read right in the car and it was about a little girl who was getting a coat made and visited her grandfather's tailor shop with shelves lined with bolts of fabric. That was a perfect intro to our next stop: a fabric shop. She may not have been in one before because her eyes opened wide with delight at all the beautiful colors and variety of fabric, the buttons, and everything else. We were going to make a wreath so her job was to choose three colors of cloth to use.

Since "Little One's" new favorite color is purple we learned how many shades of purple there are. She is quite assured in her decision making process and I thought she made very good choices in three complimentary pieces of fabric.

Turns out the wreath was a bit hard for her, so while I worked on it she happily sat by my side and played with little people and other imaginative things. The wreath reminds me so much of ones I made years ago. With those projects I pinked the fabric rather than tearing it, and I used a wire coat hanger shaped into a circle rather than a cardboard wreath (wrapped in duck tape). The new wreath looks nice on her bedroom door!

We were both tired by the time I drove her home that evening, but I'm guessing I was more tired than she was! But what a good, fun day we had. And I just can't believe she is starting Kg.

15 comments:

  1. A lovely day and a sweet project. It turned out very nicely and I am sure that she loves it! All the grands of Blogdom are zipping right along. I thought somehow that we might get a special dispensation, but I see that Blogdom is still rooted in reality after all. May she have a blessed and wonderful school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE everything about this post! Glad you guys had a sweet time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet day! Kindergarten! How is that possible?? She might like the book "A New Coat for Anna." Maybe your next library trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful day to store in the memory bank-your's and her's.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma Days are absolute joys! I can't believe Little One is already going to be in kg. How quickly they grow up. I LOVE the way she has her grandma's eye for color! So happy you two enjoyed this wonderful day of memory making. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a beautiful "little one". How fun to do a project like that with her and for her. That's the kind of thing that I enjoy doing with my "little ones".
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful day...reading TEN books together (swoon)...visiting a fabric store and choosing her own fabrics for a craft...Grandma all to herself...delightful! I'm sure she will treasure the beautiful new wreath on her door, and she'll remember your special day together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two had a full day reading and crafting. My MIL made me a Christmas wreath of fabric strips years ago tied around a hanger.
    I hope your granddaughter is excited about starting KG, she'll make new friends and have new experiences.
    Now my reality is the oldest grand is off to college next month.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such fun!!! I love her new wreath!!! I made tissue paper poufs for my granddaughters birthday party a couple of years ago, and she has a couple of them hanging in their room. So pretty!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your wreath. It's just the perfect touch for your little granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She sure is a pretty little girl and the time spent together before she heads to big kid school is wonderful. So sweet to read all of those library books with her and make a beautiful wreath for her door :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Days with those little ones are so much fun and so exhausting. Doesn't it make you wonder how we survived motherhood?
    The wreath is so pretty and Little One did a great job of choosing fabrics. Another seamstress in the making?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a lovely color combination. You gave her a wonderful gift, of your presence and of words, color, and love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hard to believe 'little one' is going to school. They grow up too fast and next thing you know their carefree preschool days are gone. The wreath is sweet and perfect colours for a little girl. So nice for you to have a day with her. Little blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely, just so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...