Thursday, August 29, 2013

Maria

I saw an old friend the other day who had traveled alongside our young family to South America some 20 years ago. He and the Gardener had meetings to attend and I was going to take photos and write stories. Tears streamed down the cheeks of our getting-older friend as he spoke to me. "Every time I see you I am transported back to that moment in the orphanage when they placed that three day-old baby in your arms. I know you wanted to take her home with you."

Oh yes indeed. I've often thought of that morning that we spent at a Bolivian orphanage. When we were nearing the end of the visit, we sat in the office for a few minutes when there was a rustle at the door and in walked two women carrying a fairly newborn baby girl that had been found under a truck, tucked behind a wheel. I'm not sure how they knew she was three days old, but that's what they told me as they placed her in my arms. Of course I wanted to take her home with me. But could we?

We put forth questions and were told it would not be possible legally since we did not live there. But they did let me name her. Maria. And I have never forgotten Maria nor stopped wondering how her life turned out and how different our lives would be today if she had been our daughter. I also wonder if they really gave her that name.
Photos: Eldest son holding Maria; the ladies of mercy leaving after rescuing the baby and delivering her to the orphanage.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my! I am very touched by this. I hope that Maria is having a good life.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing that you are a praying woman, God surely honored your prayers and your family's prayers for Maria. She was placed, very early on, in the hands of a loving God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A chance meeting and questions so many years later. I would like to think that Maria did keep the name you bestowed upon her and that perhaps she followed in your footsteps of doing God's work.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. These kinds of things touch our hearts so deeply, don't they. I would have wanted to take her home with me too, to love her and raise her in a loving home.

    I hope that one day you will get to find out where she went and about her life.

    Thank you for sharing such a precious thing....

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vee said it for me. Amen and amen... blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. That gave me chills. So glad she has you praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:34 AM

    What a story!

    cb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this post goes straight to my heart. So many "what if"s...
    So many mysteries are a part of this life here. I pray that Maria belongs to His forever family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And this is where the sovereignty of God comes in, doesn't it. We have a somewhat similar story in our past. We can only entrust these children to a loving God. Even the memories are sometimes difficult, aren't they.

    blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I never knew that. How lovely that would have been if you could have had a daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pray that Maria knows God and living a wonderful happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Podso,
    What a precious memory, dear friend!
    I pray,along with you, that perhaps one day you will be reunited with Maria or learn of her whereabouts.
    All things are possible with God!!!
    The photo of your son tenderly holding the infant Maria touched my heart with blessings today.
    You see, today, I am Great~Great Aunt to a new Great~Great Nephew.
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a touching story. I'm sure God is looking out for her due to your prayers. What a precious photo of your son holding Maria. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story touches my heart. Memories and prayers. God knows Maria's whereabouts and loves her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This story has touched me especially. I am emailing......

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful little baby! I hope God blessed her life as He did that day when she was saved from the truck's wheel and named by you with such a meaningful name!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this has touched my heart and soul.
    You are such a caring soul and the perfect mother for Maria.
    I like to think that in a way you are just that - but in the background.
    Through your prayers, God is lovingly watching over her very closely.
    He had a special plan for both of you and one day this will be revealed.
    You are both in my prayers too.
    Much love and warm hugs
    Shane xox


    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...