Saturday, June 15, 2013

the gardener

I was 18 when the Gardener and I first met. It was by the mailboxes at college and he asked if I typed papers. I think he was trying to get to know me, too. I guess typing others' papers was a way to make money at college. And it wasn't an easy job before "erasable bond" was invented. I declined. I wasn't too interested in him but as I got to know him in group situations I realized he was only one of two or three guys at school that met my rather high standards of what I was looking for in a husband.

That summer we worked at a day camp run by our college. He drove bus to pick up kids for camp
 and the director, his college coach, put me on his bus as "monitor" for the kids. And so it began.

The Gardener is cleaning our ceiling fans today and just got a large bowl down for me from a high cupboard. His 6'6" height is an advantage now just as it was on the basketball court when we were courting. But of course its the stature of his character that I love the most about him. He had a very challenging childhood, and at the age of 12 lost his dad. Maybe that's the reason he has such 
a strong faith. Tough times grow us. He had to depend on his Heavenly Father from a young age. 
When I grumble and worry, he always pulls me to the right place. He knows from experience that things work out. 
He is loving, caring, kind, humble and a true gentleman.
 A wonderful, patient husband, an amazing dad, and now a pretty cool grandpa. 
And this weekend I want to wish the father of my children a Happy Father's Day.




20 comments:

  1. A delightful tribute to the man in your life who meets all the qualifications you had for a husband. This makes me smile because we had a joke at school (perhaps it is a universal Christian college one) that every divinity student was looking for a gal who could teach VBS, sing, and play the piano. Everything else was just frosting on the cake. Ha! So do you teach VBS, sing, and play the piano? Sweet photos you've used to complement your post today.

    Speaking of sweet photos, I see a lot of freshening for summer in here. Your header is terrific and makes me want to take a seat with some iced tea in hand and I really like your new profile picture, too.

    Have a wonderful Father's Day weekend, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a dear man. Love how you weaved the past into the present. (And I also really like your headed!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Father's Day Gardener!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post and tribute to your husband, the Gardener. Your new header is gorgeous! I will join you and Vee in a chair for tea and talk too. :-) Enjoy the weekend with your beloved and family. Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...it's the stature of his character that I love the most about him."

    That says so much, Dotsie! What a blessing to have a Godly man with whom to walk life's journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dotsie,

    I love this post!! You worded it so well, and your husband does sound like a wonderful man. It always makes me happy to see women who truly love and appreciate their husbands, and vice versa. You used such sweet photos to illustrate your words.

    I will add to the chorus and say that I also love your new header. :) I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post, sounds like you picked a wonderful man! Your pictures to go with the story were very sweet too. Hope he has a wonderful Father's Day. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. "stature of his character" - that's a lovely line and a lovely way to take the measure of a man. Happy Father's Day to your Gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sniff, sniff! Where's the tissue? That was a lovely tribute to your husband!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nice tribute to The Gardener Dotsie. He sounds like a wonderful man who has been a strength by your side all these years.
    Have an enjoyable day together tomorrow.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso,
    I'm so~o~o glad that God put YOU and The Gardener together!!! Thank you for sharing this precious post with all of us!!! A subtle reminder that we should continually 'fall in love' over~and~over~and~over with our husbands!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet story, you are blessed to have met and married this man, my friend.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet post.

    I actually did type papers for cash or dinners when I was in college. 3 mistakes and I had to start over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a wonderful tribute Dotsie!

    Love what you wrote!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. So SWEET! Love you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet post of a lovely couple and a godly father. Enjoyed reading☺. Your header looks great and you look more sweet in your new profile picture☺.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wonderful words of life

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your loving words about your Gardner - God sure does know what he is doing.

    Those photos are darling!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wonderful tribute to your husband, Dotsie, for Father's day

    June is a month of celebrations for us--one of the happiest months of the year for my husband and myself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome post...truly awesome. My Dad is 6'7..
    Thanks for sharing...what a treasure you have!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...