Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Exactly

Our book club finally met again, gathered around Lydia Grace's beautiful table on a Sunday afternoon.
Did we need the food? Probably not!
 But our gatherings tend to be festive and celebrations of friendship,
and sharing our lives over what we have read together. 
We read a memoir, The Exact Place. It touched us all deeply. We discussed the
author's childhood--she grew up poor, and yearning for love from her stepfather.
She writes: "But while courting my step-father, an unexpected grace grew in my heart; I was the one who fell, headlong, for the world around me. The land and its wildlife, the long summer days, the cold winters with glittering nights, the shaggy cows and horses, the frozen lake where some years we could skate for miles on ice so smooth and clear we could see the bottom many feet below, the sing-songy accents of Minnesota speech — all became a part of what I loved, of who I was, of who I am. Work that made sweat and hard muscles, even work that had to be done over and over again, like stacking the woodpile and cutting weeds along the fence line, had a sweetness to it. I loved the daily ritual of feeding a crowd of chickens who waited eagerly for you to dump their oats and mash into the feeders, of gathering eggs so fresh they were still warm in your cupped hand, of throwing slabs of hay over the fence to the horses who nickered to you as they watched. If you take care of animals day after day, see to their well-being, they will change you. You think you are beginning to love them, but in reality they are teaching you to love yourself and your place in the world."
Some of us around the table struggled more with our childhood than others, but we
all believe that in God's loving providence it all was to grow us to who we are today. 
Nothing in life is wasted. 
Margie concludes: "So it was here, in the midst of glory and brokenness, where I found a 
miracle--or at least pretty near to one: it was the thread of redemption that ran through 
my childhood, even through dark hours after midnight. If I had been fat with well-being
 and contentment I believe I would have missed the love of God that still tracks 
through the wilderness heading me toward Home. 
I am, I was, in the exact place I needed to be."
There were even recipes tucked here and there in the book.
Including, a delicious lemon pie.

19 comments:

  1. The book sounds intriguing. I so agree with the premise...that everything is designed to conform us to His image. That is a hard thing sometimes...but true nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a fine read. It really is intriguing to know that we are who we are as a result of all the experiences we've had. The very thing we might wish to change could be the dearest treasure from the very hand of God. Your group sounds like a sweet one and I so appreciate all the thought and details that went into that special evening. Lydia Grace did a terrific job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really sounds like an interesting book, I will have to have a look at it. My pile of summer reading is sky high. Why do we think summer is reading time...it's the busiest season ever for most people! Now cold, snowy winters are another story!

    You sound like you have a terrific group of friends in your book club. A lot of love and thoughtfulness went into that pretty table and delicious food. :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when bloggers share what they've been reading. I've found many good books this way. This book sounds like another one I'd enjoy. It's hard to see the redemptive thread through life at times, but it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dotsie
    I always enjoy hearing about your book club gatherings and what you've read. The luncheon table is sumptuous as usual.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to read this one, Dotsie. Seems I never slow to read a book anymore, but this one... I'm going to make time for reading. Thank you. LOVELY gathering! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you belong to a book club; the dinner table looks lovely and fun.
    The Exact Place sounds like an interesting read, I would enjoy that.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful gathering! I will have to look for that book!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Podso!
    What a wonderful gathering! Its lovely to meet as friends and discuss on one topic which interests every one! The table setting is beautiful too:).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like an interesting book.

    God is good to use everything to make us into His likeness, even hard things.

    The table for your get together is beautiful.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that Lemon Pie looks so refreshingly yummy, as do the little sandwiches and fruits and veggies. I love little gatherings like this, but do not do it often any longer. I have neighbors who used to belong to a book club and it was such fun going to each other's home at the end of a reading~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I loved the excerpt. And so true that nothing in life is wasted. God is using it to make us who love Him more like his son.

    I've gotta find this book. Thanks for the review. Beautiful tablescape, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea! I found the Kindle version and it's sitting here waiting for me. As I was checking Amazon, I was hoping it wouldn't be expensive, or I'd have to forego it. But it was $3.99. I can do that. :-) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dot the book sounds wonderful! I just added it to my list for this fall. I'd love to sit around the table with all of you and join in your conversations they sound wonderful and full of grace.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could find a book club to join like yours! Perhaps when I have a little more free time I'll begin one. This sounds like a wonderful book --I'm saving the title to look for it in my local library.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this very gracious post. I wish I could have joined. The food looked worthy of my mentor Edith Schaeffer who was famous for her "high teas". It really encourages me to hear response because what I truly hope is that the book would become a catalyst for others to think about their own stories & places & how is it possible that God could have been with us even in the darkest times.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Podso,
    Lovely post about being in our "exact" place!
    How precious the bonds of your friendships!!! Good conversation, good food, and continued learning sounds like a perfect recipe to me!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like it was a lovely gathering and the book sounds like it is filled with lots of inspiration for how to be grateful with whatever comes our way. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...