Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Retreat Rescue

Thomas Jefferson needed to get out of town as the enemy was after him. Monticello was too well known so he retreated from Richmond (a mere three-day trip by horse and buggy; today at 90-minute drive) to a property owned by his father-in-law where a small cabin awaited him.  Poplar Forest, VA.
After the death of his wife's father, Jefferson took ownership of the extensive grounds (I think about 600 acres) and began to run the farms and build a house that reminds one of Monticello, though a smaller and simpler version. And he went there when he could, as he aged, often accompanied by his 12 grandchildren. This is what he said about it:
"I have fixed myself comfortably, keep some books here, bring others occasionally, am in the solitude of a hermit, and quite at leisure to attend to my absent friends."
A few years after his death, Jefferson's son sold the property and changes were made over the years. Today lovers of history are painstakingly restoring the property to what it was in Jefferson's day. They are "rescuing the retreat."
When I visited, I found it a retreat for me ... even if only for a couple of hours. Fascinating history, architecture, beautiful grounds and a soft breeze on a warm day ... if I had been there on my own, I could easily have chosen to spend the entire day just gazing at the views. As it was, I came away refreshed.

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tour! I have not been there but love Monticello. Jefferson was a great gardener and had an eye for laying grounds out in such a beautiful fashion. Thanks for sharing, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've visited Monticello twice, but I never knew this place existed. It looks beautiful and welcoming. Perhaps a visit in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a refreshing time. It looks like a beautiful place - a little larger and more ornate than I would think of as a retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming retreat and so much history attached to it. Love the winding road pic and all the pretty trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such a beautiful place. I visited Monticello when I went to see my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha! Now I know where you were. This post just popped up on my reader this morning. Sounds like such a nice place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures of a lovely place and thanks for the info:)I too love gazing at such scenic places and enjoy the beauty all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have loved to have joined you on this little retreat, Dotsie. I'm going to have to keep this one in mind. Hurray for the folks who are working to restore this beautiful Old Lady. Jefferson's architecture is just wonderful... and a piece of our history. thank you for sharing this beautiful spot. Glad you found refreshment... even for two hours. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely.

    We haven't visited Monticello yet, and I hope to do so this year.

    I love wandering the grounds of these beautiful places, very refreshing and restful.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. We found Poplar Forest, nestled into a subdivision, several years ago and were thrilled! At that time, I believe the plan was to leave it unfurnished and showing some of the construction methods used. How fortunate that it didn't become another tract of the development!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful house and grounds! It looks very peaceful there. Have a blessed day. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. No wonder he went there often. It is so peaceful and beautiful.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely retreat that would be, I love the house, the fields and the long driveway, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Certainly an historical property worth restoring. Some places just have a relaxing atmosphere that refreshes one's spirit.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  16. I visited Monticello once -- it s truly a beautiful place and I remember it seemed much more sophisticated than G Washington's estate at Mount Vernon. I love that last photo --it makes me want to drive down that road to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love historical things like this. I saw the John Adams mini-series and this is lovely. I can just imagine how things were back then.

    Thanks for the wedding well wishes!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed the tour and the feeling of peace it gives you. Very beautiful and it's wonderful to know it's being brought back to a good condition! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It really is reminiscent of Monticello. At first, I thought it was. It certainly is a beautiful home. How odd to think of Jefferson having to "get out of Dodge."

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how I would enjoy seeing it in real life and not just from books. How beautiful. What secrets it could tell us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Podso,
    One cannot image the stress that our early forefathers endured with the beginning of our great country.
    A respite was certainly needed then as it is now!
    Thank you for sharing the beautiful countryside of this gorgeous estate!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...