Wednesday, May 23, 2012

when the sun is at its best


There's something about mornings ... I've always said in my mind that mornings are "when the sun is at its best." I love driving to my job that starts in daylight ... for there seems to be stir of anticipation and expectation in the air as I look around at the traffic flowing along. And we enter the office, crisp and scrubbed, smelling the aroma of fresh coffee ... and ahead of us is the promise of a new slate. At home, I often put off a chore from the evening to the morning when I have more energy. The sun is newly risen, not yet with the intense heat that comes later in the day ... and chores just seem more manageable. It could be that I simply love mornings. If I sleep in too late (which is hard to do for someone who has worked shifts for years) I feel like I've wasted the "best part of the day."

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
Born of the one light, Eden saw play
Praise with elation, praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day.

                                                                 -Eleanor Farjeon, 1931

                                                                      (Photos from along my drive to my nursing job ...
                                                                                       most of the year seen only in the dark!)

10 comments:

  1. What a pretty drive. I'm the same way. My greatest energy is in the morning. I have to force myself to do chores before blogging though or before I know it the morning will pass.
    Have a beautiful sunshine day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about the early morning. So peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love mornings and feel as you do - if I sleep in I feel I've missed the best part of the day. I like to get up and get going, especially in the spring and summer when the light is shining in at 5:30 or 6:00 and the birds are singing. You have a pretty drive to your work. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do drive through one a pretty part of town. Eleonar Farjeon ~ she wrote The Little Bookroom. Still one of my most favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree...I've ALWAYS been a "morning person" and fortunately, so is my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with your outlook about mornings...they're just so full of promise!

    Sweet post, girlfriend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Dotsie
    Yes, a sunny day certainly lifts the spirit and motivates one to be productive.
    My days always start early as I hate to miss any of the early morning goings on outside.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my friend, just popping in to see how you're doing. I have to agree, I love mornings, they always go by too quickly, though.
    Lovely photos.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dotsie, I've never been sure if I became a morning person because of hitting the OR by 6:45am and the adrenaline that many times accompanied that or if I loved the OR because I was a morning person. But, I know just what you mean about it being your most productive time of day... and about having gone to work in the dark for years and years... but I loved the "morning dark". ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my sister tells of this journey to work in the dark and home in the dark and how much it meant to her to have the light again. Nothing like those killer 12–14 hour shifts.

    Beautiful lyrics to that song...I don't believe that I had ever caught them well enough to know what was actually being said.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...