Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Letting our Hair Down


Years ago my little boys and I were perched on a bench looking up at the turret of a Salzberg castle on a sunny summer day. It seemed the perfect time to tell them the story of Rapunzel. Being boys, they weren't that impressed. Little One, on the other hand, delights in princesses, castles, and stories told as well as read. Her imagination seems endless. When I told her the "Princess and the Pea" we piled up pillows for mattresses. And when I told her Rapunzel, we initially found long necklaces to stand in for the very famous braid. 

When Little One comes to my house all by herself, we have such fun. She has all kinds of ideas, including acting out stories over and over.  One day we used a bunch of my long scarves tied together to make "the braid." And the stairway was our turret. Over and over we played that game until I finally diverted her into something where Grandma could sit down for awhile. On an earlier visit I took her to my grandmother's cedar hope chest that sits at the end of our bed, thinking she could see a real braid. Inside are all kinds of family treasures including my braid from when I had my very long hair cut short at the age of 35. I'm not sure why I still keep it, but I think I forget it's there for years at a time. But Little One doesn't forget now. Of course she found it quite interesting. Every so often she'll say, "Let's have a look at your braid, Grandma," and she'll head for the hope chest, lift up the lid, and we'll have a look!

13 comments:

  1. Little One will forever remember the fun of peeking into your chest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These little ones have so much energy. Love the Rapunzel on the staircase - such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought back memories for me....not because my grandmother played with me, but because she kept a braid from her younger days that I was fascinated with. It was thick and heavy and auburn, almost red. I think it was so fascinating because when I knew her, her hair was quite short, grey, and thinning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story! It is always so endearing to see a grandchild's imagination developing this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dotsie
    I have a sign in the kitchen that says "If I had of known how much fun grandchildren would be, I would have had them first".
    Yes, they sure can tire us out, but what fun! Our girls used to wear leotards on their head to pretend they had 2 long ponytails. LOL Wish I had a photo of that.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little One is so precious, Dotsie. They do love playing their thing over and over and over. LOL! I love that she knows about your braid in the cedar chest. Stories she will always remember. :) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what fun! What fun for your grandgirlie to have a grandmother who plays with her and has so many great stories.

    You know what? I don't have a braid in my grandmother's hope chest, but I have someone's bun. ??? To whom it belongs I have no idea, but I have no inclination to give it the boot. Wonder if the historical society would like it? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so much fun to pretend -- life is too serious sometimes and it's fun just to be a child!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Your Little One is such a delight - how fun it must be to share so much together! :)
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing about the time you spend with her. Those will be sweet, sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso,
    Seeing the world through the eyes of a child lets us delight in the simplest of objects! I'm thrilled to hear that you take time to allow "Little One" to embark in fantasies. She may become one of the great designers or writers of the future! Time will tell!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...