Wednesday, April 04, 2012

eggs everywhere

The answer to my previous post question is: chalk eggs! Most years, even if I'm alone without young ones around, 
I love to color Easter eggs, but when I don't, such as this year, I pull out the old chalk eggs.

I've been looking at Easter this year from my grandchildren's point of view as Little One is just learning about the cross and the empty tomb.Looking around the shops I see very little, if any reference to the religious meaning of Easter, which is strange since it is a religious holiday. But there are eggs a plenty! I know for many, pretty eggs represent the most welcomed new life of Spring. But the real meaning of the Easter egg is the new life inside, reminding us of the new life that can be ours because of the cross. I've even read that the hardness of the shell represents the sealed tomb with the cracking 
of an egg reminding us of Christ's resurrection from the dead. 
To me the key to it all is that the cross and tomb are both empty. It's personal. 
He is risen indeed!
 (These are dyed, shiny (olive oil) eggs from another year.) 

14 comments:

  1. Give that little one a stone that was rolled into the tomb. She can carry it around from Friday to Sunday and then she needs to take it out of her pocket. He is risen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually dye a few eggs each year. Since they aren't "hidden", after a day or so, I make egg salad. I did see a chocolate marshmallow cross but just didn't feel it very appropriate!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely eggs -- I've not heard of chalk eggs -- I'll have to go look them up. No children, no grandchildren but I still dye eggs on good Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dotsie
    We'll be on our own for Easter dinner this year so I've invited my friend who is 92 and has no family.
    It's a shame that the true meaning of Easter is being lost in the world of commercial profit. I like your explanation of the egg.
    Happy Easter.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the colourful eggs and the mosaic and how you made the connection with the tomb. Beautiful post! Wishing you a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right. There's precious little out there about the real meaning of Easter. I have been scouting about looking for some. Not easy. Love the look of these beautiful eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. And beautiful eggs...I love the shiny ones.

    Have a happy and blessed Easter, my friend.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your eggs are beautiful! I love the vivid colors. Did you make them? I would love to know how.

    I like coloring eggs too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eggs are a beautiful symbol. It's only been three months since my Mom passed so my Easter will be quiet and reflective this year. I do rejoice that my Mom is sharing Easter with Jesus...this was her favorite holiday and she would always greet us with "Christ Is Risen!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your eggs are lovely - both sorts.
    It saddens me that Easter is being lost in a sea of chocolate - but enough people know the real reason. Imagine if we all used the old Easter greeting - Christ is risen! He is risen indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What pretty eggs. I haven't dyed eggs in many years, but your colorful parade makes me want to pull out the food coloring. Happy Easter! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very pretty. Looking at them made my heart happy and helped me decide to make an Easter basket
    for myself. The grandbabies are in Illinois this Easter.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is the first Easter that we have not spent with Little Man and I know he will love the dying even more this year than last...

    Your shiney eggs are beautiful Dotsie and so is the symbolism of the empty tomb. I had not ever heard that about the eggs... makes them more special. Hope you and yours have a wonderful Easter. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dotsie, I think you have comments turned off for your last two post. They are beautiful. Just wanted to say you are on my heart this morning... special prayers for a wonderful Easter time with family... xoxo t.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...