Tuesday, February 21, 2012

the staff of life

The recent news about the high level of sodium in bread got me in the mood for a little bread baking. We love oatmeal bread, so that's what I made. I'm still searching for my mother's recipe, but until I find it, this will do! The 1/2 cup of molasses gave it the dark color. A hearty bread full of flavor.
1 cup uncooked oats
2 C scalded milk
1 pckg yeast in 1/2 C warm water
1/2 C molasses
2 t (or less!) salt
1 T shortening
4 1/2 C flour
Let the oats sit in the hot milk until lukewarm. Then stir in the rest, knead, let rise in warm place, punch down, divide into two loaves (I made one loaf and 12 dinner rolls) and let rise again. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 for another 30 minutes. You can oil the top of the loaf for a softer crust, or leave it crusty. Good toasted!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love a good hearty oat bread... {sigh} I'm just daydreaming about how your house smelled when this loaf was baking... and how much I would ejoy a thick slice stathered in butter.... {{{sigh}}} Please enjoy a nice slice for me, Dotsie. You will need to do lots of "mmmmm-ing". ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot homemade bread with some butter - yum!
    I've only made bread with yeast in my bread maker, I usually make tea breads or Irish soda bread. Your recipe looks easy enough to try, thanks for sharing it Dotsie.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we lived in Texas, I had to resort to learning to make bread because The Baker (before he was T.B.) couldn't find any bread he liked. It has been a long time since that delicious aroma came from my oven. You've inspired me!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful loaf of bread! It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! And what yummy toast it must make too. Years ago my Aunt Helen shared with me her recipe for homemade English muffin loaf. It was good toasted. I am gluten free now..and still find anything with any kind of flour in it...is fattening for me. Sigh....I do love to eat....grin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Good for you, Dotsie - it looks absolutely wonderful!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this bread looks delish! Thanks for the recipe, I love home made bread and this one looks terrific dear Podso. Hope you're having a terrific week. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a non yeast bread like this, Dotsie, that cooks up quick! The molasses must give it a wonderful flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mum made this all the time - Porridge Bread, we called it. I loved it! Tonight we're having pancakes, but the thought of a crock of baked beans and that bread is percolating for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darn you and Vee - that bread sure does look yummy! I've been gluten free since October and doing really well, but I sure do miss a good crusty yeasty bread!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...