Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Speaking of Cookbooks






Speaking of cookbooks, one of my favorites is the More With Less Cookbook. I took this with me to Africa years ago and have used it ever since. It's my most worn cookbook. I have my favorites, but I feel like there is so much more yet to explore in the book.


It's more of a practical cookbook, giving recipes that allow you to live "close to the land" and cook economically. Lots of international recipes are included. It's sort of a humble cookbook that emphasizes seasonal, organic cooking, and did so long before such cooking was so popular. 

A Christmas Snoopy marks my most used recipe, which I really don't need directions for. I recommend it and there's not a kid I've served it to who hasn't loved it. I always use small chunks of chicken I've pre-cooked, and add a few beef buillon cubes which makes the sauce richer. You can't skip the step of separately cooking the peanut butter in oil, and do so by stirring slowly but constantly, as it tends to burn.



There is a 2011 updated edition to this book with current statistics and nutritional information. I've also learned about yet another book by this live-close-to-the-land concious group called Simply in Season. It shows which fruits and vegetables are in season when, with recipes to match. There is a colorful kids' cookbook by the same or similar title that looks like great fun. Do a G. search for it and you'll find the titles easily.


And that's it for cooking today. Friends we knew in Africa years ago have come to town and are taking us out to eat. Otherwise I'd cook the recipe above for them, for old times' sake. It's been a busy day, so I'll welcome a restaurant and the time to focus just on them!



19 comments:

  1. I love that cookbook. I have the recipe for the African Ground Nut Stew that I'm sure you gave me. I can't tell from my printout but I'm pretty sure you blogged about it and I asked for the recipe.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that cookbook and used it a lot when we lived in South America. There's one recipe titled "Genghis Khan" that I made over and over, usually with leftover roast beef. I just think the name is off the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well used and well loved cookbook is a sure sign it is a good one! The recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Podso
    This cookbook sounds like a good one to have and yours does look well used from over the years.
    The best books are the ones that use everyday foods that most of us have in the kitchen.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe sounds unique and delicious. Your friends would probably be thrilled to eat it once again. Enjoy your time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cookbook looks very interesting, Dot! I have a few that are very well worn and well used! This recipe sounds delicious!

    Have a wonderful time with your friends!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I see a worn cookbook I know it has been well loved and used all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Podso,
    Sometimes cooking is called for...othertimes call for a reservation, I say! Enjoy your time with friends!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so wonderful to have a cookbook such as this that endures and comforts as much as an old friend. I'm sure every stained and tattered page brings back a food memory for you.

    Hope you enjoyed your time out with your friends

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isnt' it wonderful when you find that perfect cookbook? My mom used to have a Whitehouse cookcook that I really used to love. Wish I could find that one again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know that cookbook at all, but it certainly sounds like a good one. For years I've used The Harrowsmith Cookbooks. I like them because the recipes don't depend on a can of this or a can of that. They also avoid exotic fruits and vegetables and focus on the sorts of things that are more easily found in Canada. That doesn't mean I don't like to cook with ALL my cookbooks and to seek our exotic recipes - it's just good to know that good meals can be made from local ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post and what a great blog. I just come Savoring Time in the Kitchen and I would love to follow you. Your photos and stories are right up my alley. I am a cookbook collector, so many that... and quite a few that are splattered and worn.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry I meant I learned about you on Bonnie's From a Writer's Kitchen. Now you know I am old and kind of seni...
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have that cookbook! Isn't it funny how some of our cookbooks get almost worn out while others sit hopefully waiting to be cooked from!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a well-loved recipe book if ever I saw one. Hope you enjoyed your evening with friends and had a wonderful visit! blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love seeing a cookbook with the little stars and stickers and spotted pages. Nothing like an old worn trusty cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to have that recipe book, I gave away several many years ago, that one must have gone with them.
    Your stew sounds amazing, I think my husband would love that.
    I agree, we do "get" each other and I'm so glad.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. My copy looks like that too!
    Genghis Kahn recipe ~~ aha, he is in our studies next month!

    ReplyDelete
  19. From the Kitchen said we should check you out and I'm so glad I did! Very nice blog, I'm looking forward to following you!

    I really appreciate this posting as doing "more with less" is a personal focus of my family!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...