Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Serendipity

The English author Horace Walpole coined the word serendipity. In a letter of January 28, 1754, Walpole says that "this discovery, indeed, is almost of that kind which I call 'Serendipity,' a very expressive word." Walpole formed the word on an old name for Sri Lanka, "Serendip." He explained that this name was part of the title of "a silly fairy tale, called 'The Three Princes of Serendip': as their highnesses traveled, they were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, 
of things which they were not in quest of...."
During our cousin weekend, on a lovely afternoon, we visited Wing Haven. It is just what it is called––a haven for birds in a beautiful three acre garden, with paths begging to be wandered. But we didn't know about the big bucks party being readied for that evening. Donors, patrons, the board ...
some important people were going to have a smashing gala when twilight settled in.
With pure delight we gazed upon elegant table settings under a green tinted tent.
We "admired 'til we were tired".... It was, without a doubt, a "serendipity." 
Reposted from four years ago this month. It's time for another cousin get together! 
Connecting to Chari's Happy to Design. Visit her for more Sunday reposts!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that was some party they were getting ready for. Didn't you sort of want to stay and see : ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Sigh of happiness* I've missed your blog. I'm back to reading and writing online. Just caught up on yours a bit, and will do more over the next week. I know I've said it before, but I just love the way you write. It's like you're already talking and you just let us in for a minute. I enjoyed my time away from the bloggosphere actually, but I'm glad to be catching back up with yours. It was one I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that word. I love the thought of serendipity.
    What a beautiful table arrangement. Lucky guests and lucky you to have a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I am trying to figure out all those glasses. Beautiful setting, thanks for reposting since I missed the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dotsie,

    Serendipity is special to me. Your explanation is just perfect!

    Looks like your followers are back. Mine are there now too.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just LOVE when serendipity happens! You definitely were in the right place at the right time - and I'm so glad you shared this with us again. Beautiful tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember this lovely post and loved seeing it again - the photos were just fab!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many people do you think know of the origin of the word "serendipity" other than you and me? I'm guessing not many. What a GORGEOUS setting this is, all set for a lovely and I'll bet enjoyable party. I love dining outdoors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I'm curious. Did you go home and do an interpretation of this look with your own things? I like the simple...quiet colors that they used with the silvers and the pinks. The huge hanging floral arrangement is quite spectacular. Thank you for sharing your serendipitous moment. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dotsie...

    Ohhhh...I would love to visit Wing Haven! It looks like you had a lovely time meandering around! My...ohhhh my!!! What a feast for these "tablescaping eyes" of mine! Hehe! The tables really were gorgeous! I couldn't help but to admire that pretty soft pink tablecloth too...with it's pretty diamond shaped tucks! GORGEOUS! Thank you so much for sharing your time at Wing Haven with us for the Sunday Favorites party this week, dear friend! I enjoyed!!!

    Have a wonderful Memorial Day!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Podso,
    Lovely tables! YES! I agree...it's time for the cousins to get together, once again! Family time and ties are so important! Enjoy!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! You posted this 4 years ago? That decor is timeless. So glad you shared it again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am definitely ready for another cousins' weekend! Name the time --of course we all have more grandchildren than we did 4 years ago! Really??? It has been 4 years???? But what a blessing it was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved learning the etymology of serindipity! This party looked lovely. I am collecting ideas for my daughter's wedding next spring.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...