Saturday, May 21, 2011

about cutting oranges

"Do it lovingly--in perfect  quarters like little boats, or in staggered exfoliations like a flat map of a round world, or in one long spiral, as my grandfather used to do. Nothing is more likely to become garbage than an orange rind; but for as long as anyone looks at it in delight, it stands a million triumphant miles from the trash heap."    --from Robert Farrar Capon in  The Supper of the Lamb.


I first posted this more three years ago and it has been one of the most viewed and googled posts I've ever done. All I can say is people must not know how to cut an orange and need to seek advice about it. But if you've never read The Supper of the Lamb, I highly recommend it. It's all about how to make four meals for eight people out of one leg of lamb. But it's much  more than that. Robert Farrar Capon makes you see preparing food in a new way, and it is rich with wisdom and entertainment. There is a whole chapter devoted to cutting up an onion!

See Chari's Happy To Design for more reposts!

8 comments:

  1. I wonder where I can find that book - will have to look. I love a quirky cook book, and a cook that can get that much from one leg of lamb is my sort of cook. I'll bet I could get one more meal than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely and unique post. We often have a navel orange for Sunday brunch. I slice it in rounds then halves and then we indulge in the juicy goodness. I've never heard of the book you mentioned but it sounds interesting. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting that a person named Capon wrote a book about food...was it his last name that assigned him this destiny? From your quote, he writes beautifully. I think I would be interested in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dotsie,

    It is not even light out yet and I have been shopping. I just ordered the book!

    Great photograph.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really makes you wonder about there being that many people who have to google cutting an orange:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this post. the oranges looked so wonderful in this picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dotsie...

    Ohhh...I remember this post! Your photo of the sliced orange just looks sooo pretty! I think I can almost smell the citrusy goodness...which I love! The book by Robert Farrar Capon sounds very interesting, although I must admit that I'm not a big fan of lamb.

    Well dear friend, so happy that you could share this sweet post with us for the Sunday Favorites party this week! We just got home from our weekend adventure. Had fun but it's always sooo nice to be back home!

    Have a super Sunday, sweet lady!
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read that book, too! Something to think about..and change! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...