Tuesday, May 31, 2011

guess who's coming ...

A quick trip to the grocery for a couple of things for a simple dinner. I was looking forward to just "laying low" or "hanging out" that evening after a busy weekend. The Gardener was gardening ... and looked at me sheepishly as I drove into the driveway. I rolled down the window, asking him what the look was about. "Guess who I invited for dinner?" he answered. Having our neighbor over for a meal was not in my plans for dinner that night.

Of course when MY plans get thwarted, I'm not happy. The Gardener knew that, but he also knew me well enough to know I'd "come around" and that we are a team in this marriage stuff. After all these years, we work pretty well together. So he quietly listened to me fuss and fume for awhile.

I actually did have plenty of chicken, and proceded to marinate it. I had the veggies I needed to roast some of those and got going on that before the day got too hot. Meekly the Gardener went off to buy some ice cream bars for a simple dessert.

It was our 88 year-old neighbor lady he had invited. While I was at the store, they were talking out in the street, and she mentioned her husband was buried in Arlington, where she also would be buried. Maybe the Gardener felt sorry for her alone-ness, or appreciated her husband's sacrifice for our country ... For whatever reason he felt like asking her to join us and she accepted his invitation readily (and later asked me if I had "read him the riot act" for asking her before asking me!)

The reason I wasn't so enthusiastic is that I have trouble understanding her way of speaking. Her French accent is as heavy as probably the day she moved here as a war bride. I was imagining how difficult our dinner conversation might be. So I did what I needed to do; I prayed about it. And asked forgiveness for my attitude.

Of course sitting across the table from her, I was able to understand 99.8% of what she said. And she told us interesting stories. What an amazing woman. Knowing how much yard work she'd done that day, I wondered how she would have the energy to come join us. But right on the dot of 6 pm I peeked out the window and she was on her way. Walking sprightly, she was dressed as cute as can be in a blue jean skirt, crisp collared white blouse, red slip on sandals and carried a chilled bottle of wine in a colorful wine bag. I never before realized she had two piercings in each ear --diamond studs and big hoops. This gal is on the ball. Did I say she is 88?

Three hours flew by. She was game to eat on our hot porch (yes, we're breaking records here with the August-like heat.) My only question is why we didn't have her over sooner. Sigb. The Gardener seems to usually, if not always, know best.

15 comments:

  1. What a great little bloggy tale! I'd love to meet this 88 year old neighbor gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat@Back Porch Musings8:18 AM

    Oh how I love this post!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I call a blessing. Your neighbour sounds like dear lady and I'm sure she had a wonderful time. We never know what others may be feeling and how a simple invitation to supper can be such a blessing for all. Thanks for sharing this today. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made my day to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story. Its so me every time I have someone over and it almost always turns out for the better.
    I can send you the bib pattern. A girl at our knit shop made it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you'd gotten her photo, red shoes and all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why don't we just admit it and say, our husbands are almost always right?!? I guess because it bugs us that they can be right so often?! eh? :D Sounds like you have a wonderful husband. How sweet that he thought to ask the neighbor lady over. I enjoyed your story very much.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet having your elderly neighbor over for dinner...bet she enjoyed the company as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand where you are coming from friend. Sometimes it's hard to commit, but when we do it can become a blessing - God answers prayers (sometimes not the way we want), but they are always answered.

    Glad that you had a wonderful supper. And I can just picture her:)

    LEann

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a wonderful visit! I'm often hesitant to invite someone to eat...what if they don't like the same thing we eat! I should step outside my comfort zone more often! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. And then there was the time that Sweet Mister came home and told me that he had invited a few people for dinner that night....12 people. After pinching his head off, we had a wonderful evening...and I slept late the next day. I relish the thought of the history lessons that your neighbor could share with you concerning WWII in France. Wow! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was such a good story! I have a soft heart for older people. I'm so glad your hubby asked her over but of course, I think he should have asked you first since you had to do the cooking. lol My hubby has done the same thing to me and I always end up feeling guilty for getting upset after the guests arrive. But you have a great attitude. I spent the good part of my day yesterday visiting with an elderly lady. I love to hear their stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:01 PM

    I always worry about putting a dinner party together (planned in advance or on-the-fly), and it always turns out fine. :)

    I'm glad you all had a great time!

    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautifully lived, beautifully written. i love this story, dotsie. kudos to you and the gardener and your spry guest! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful tale!
    (And what a lucky hubby that it all turned out all right, lol.)

    Your neighbor sounds remarkable -- sandals at 88? I trip in them NOW. I love that she was dressed in flag colors, too.

    A blessed day for all 3 of you, and for us because you shared it with us.
    I love a happy story to start my day!

    :-)
    Cass
    PS OF COURSE I will share pics of the book centerpieces. You will run screaming from your monitor, begging for mercy, because I will share so MANY pictures of the wedding! :-P

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...