Wednesday, May 11, 2011

helped

 When I first tried to get The Help from the library there were 200 holds on the book so I knew it was a popular. Now that I've read it I see why. Kathryn Stockett write beautifully and jumps around from character to character writing in the first person. And, cleverly, she writes about the book (The Help)  being written. That was fascinating to me.
So on a balmy spring evening, some of us gathered on the porch to talk about the book. It was an interesting discussion as some of us grew up in the North and some in the South. Some of our mothers had house help and some did not. For some of us it was an eye-opener. Some parts were hard to read or talk about. But you could say we all were "helped" by reading and talking about the book.

Some of my favorite quotes: "That's what I love about Aibileen, she can take the most complicated things in life and wrap them up so small and simple, they'll fit right in your pocket." Also: "All I'm saying is, kindness don't have no boundaries."  And finally a good summary of it all: "Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought?”

A movie based on the book is coming out in August.

14 comments:

  1. I read that one last year and really enjoyed it. It is absolutely fodder for good discussion! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book but I may be looking for it soon as it sounds interesting. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, really liked this book. Mom also got it as a gift for Christmas, so I need to find out if she read it or not, probably not! You know how long it takes her to read a book! And yes, the movie is actually being directed by a childhood friend of the author..........should be interesting to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to see if this book is at our library. It sounds like an interesting story. My mother didn't have house help but the other mothers on our street did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the book too - read it over the winter. This weekend there was a profile of the author in the our paper and I was delighted to see it and clip it as The Help will be on our book club list for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read this book ,but I think I will. In fact I have not been reading anything this spring. I am going to have to fix that.
    Was the book a happy or sad book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have been at that book club. Great book and great company, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the book...I read it last year and even wrote a post about it. I am so looking forward to the movie. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as me.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso,
    Okay...now I'm intriqued. Guess I'll have to "check it out"!
    Your peonies are gorgeous!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun evening on your porch!
    Weather was perfect.
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read it last fall and loved it. My SIL lent it to me, she's a great library:)

    Enjoy the rest of your week!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking for this book at the One Dollar Bookstore for months...it is never there. Must be a good one and people are keeping it. Perhaps I need to break down and just buy it at the other bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely a wonderful book. Very timely and relevant.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds very interesting, I will look for that on my next trip to the Library.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...