Wednesday, May 25, 2011

outside the window

There is a certain hum to our neighborhood. It seems to bring a measure of comfort as the day passes, and I love it when I can stay home all day and listen. I hear a garbage truck arrive early in the morning, know the sounds of the mail truck as it squeaks its brakes closer and closer to our house, or the muffler of our neighbor's car arriving home at night. It's interesting how even the sounds of construction, such as a new roof going on, sounds good ... it must have to do with the joy of improvements. We live in the suburbs of our city with a parcel of woods in our back yard. Think "bird sanctuary." Chirping birds compete with the distant sounds of traffic or a passing motorcycle. I've come to recognize some of the birds's songs, and the familiarity is nice. One particularly melodic guy sings from the same area of our yard every day.

Youngest son moved his family here last week and we helped scrub the house and move them in. They are living up near the city, and their neighborhood sounds are so different from ours. On the day we were cleaning, the weather was delightful and the windows were open (a rare treat here in the humid south). I wasn't feeling too great so sat on the floor for awhile and was lulled into a nap by the sounds I heard out the open window. A distant city bus, hammers on a building project, church bells on the quarter hour, neighbors chatting on their front porches, the beeping of a truck backing up, a soft breeze rustling through the trees ... Funny how such humdrum sounds can help you sleep.

Sometimes I think I pay too much attention to my environment and wish I was less "in tune" with things.  That's when I turn on a great symphony or some country music and "ignorance" becomes "bliss."

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I also listen to the sounds outside and it is comforting to know and recognize the common ones such as birds, a distant dog barking or a rooster crowing down the road and the school bus's squeaky brake. Have a great week. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I'm listening to rain and tires on wet pavement. A few minutes ago, a very wet bird was trilling outside my kitchen window.

    Thoughtful post!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post, you sound so content and that is such a nice way to live.
    I am sitting here in my sun-room listening to a lawnmower purr over the neighbors grass. I love the sounds of summer, the breeze joining in and the tinkle of my wind-chimes. I love to hear the bird-songs as well.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a lovely post. You put your finger on one of the things I love about being home during the weekday - something that happens rarely due to work. When I'm home I don't turn on the radio or any music - I just love the sounds of the house, the ducks from outside, the birds, the wind in the big trees. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having your immediate surroundings quiet and peaceful but listening to sounds in the distance is a very soothing thing. I don't get those moments often. On weekends I love waking early so that I can enjoy the solitude. Tomorrow begins the weekend and hubby is on a business trip so I hope the kids sleep late. :) Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Lovely post! Up here, it's an occastional chainsaw, hammer, or truck on the county road, along with a little wind and birdsong.

    Hope you have a happy one,
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I could almost hear the sounds. I know exactly the comfort you are talking about. This past weekend while we were in a hotel, we passed by an alcove in the hall that had a box fan. I told my hubby, let's get us a box fan. Many happy memories at my grandma's house- laying there at night listening to the fan in the window and hearing the crickets chirp. I much prefer that over the hustle and bustle of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely writing! Yes, the music of life, as I like to call it...all the sounds around us. I love it here during the week day when the neighborhood is amazingly quiet except for the birds and occasional dog barking. Then everyone comes home from work and the quiet symphony becomes cacophony at times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post. It will be so nice having your son and his family nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited for you to have your son and his family near by!! And, it won't be long now, will it? We have been enjoying the blessing of our newest baby boy today. Just amazing.

    I enjoy the sights, sounds and smells that surround me, too... occasionally my acute awareness of them is detrimental. LOL!

    blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...