Tuesday, January 25, 2011

the story of the silver spoon



Little One and I enjoy having tea together. I have a tiny porcelin tea set I let her play with and she's learned to pour the "tea" (keeping one finger on the lid), dump in "sugar and cream" and take a sip to check the temperature. "It's too hot!" she'll often say with great drama.






So when I saw a little tea set at WM looking a lot like fiestaware I could not resist buying it  thought I'd give it to her at Christmas. She opened it on Christmas Eve and what fun she had pouring, dumping sugar and cream, sipping and serving all of us.




As I watched her play, I got to thinking how sweet it would be if we had a little 
teaspoon on scale to the tea set that she could use to spoon the "sugar" into the 
cups and stir the tea. But where would I find such a thing?

The next morning, with guests around the breakfast table, I was telling about 
a bag of worn out silver cutlery a friend had given me when she moved to Europe. 
A relative had given them to her and they were in need of a good polish. 
I got out the bag and was sifting through them when I saw this:
Apparently little salt servers. I could hardly believe it! Christmas morning, 
just hours after she opened her present of the tea set.
Perfect to scale I might add! And there were two: one to send home with Little One, and a spare.
 Coincidence?

14 comments:

  1. Too sweet! I miss tea set days around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe in coincidences... Charlie and I call those "winks from God" :) And I LOVE the tea set...G also got one for Christmas but I have been remiss in teaching her how to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Podso,
    Might be. . .I like to think it was divine intervention! Humor me. Little One is such a dear child. I am so grateful that she is wrapped in your love. Children are precious gifts.

    In my years of Early Childhood, parents would drop off their "precious gifts" to the daycare and preschool where I taught. I did my best during the day to remember that parent /child love and return their "precious gifts", in the same . . .or better condition that when they were dropped off. Thank you for sharing little one with us!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, but there are no coincidences. Least in my book. I like to think that the Lord is interested even in tea sets, and a small child's joy along with her sweet grandmother's.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say more like serendipity ... courtesy of God. Sweet stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I must have Puddin Toes over to tea this week...it has been way too long. I use sugar cubes with her, but I love the tiny silver spoon. So much fun being a grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think God was smiling that morning. Dotsie, I LOVE that tea set! I almost want one for myself! It is just the cutest thing. I see why you couldn't resisit buying it; I mean needed it for a Christmas gift. Your Little One is too sweet. I can almost her her saying it is "too hot". Alex makes a dramatic announcement about things being "hot" and does his little hand just so to warn you off. Precious moments. Glad you had this tea party and shared it with us. Grandparenting is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! All little girls need a tea set :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tea set. I can just see Little One serving up tea to her grandmother. I remember trips with my grandmother to the tea room in a local department store. Such wonderful memories. Enjoying making them!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:38 PM

    How wonderful! "Little one" is growing up so fast, Dotsie!
    I have a little one (she's 2) living with her Mama & Papa in California. Someday I hope we can have tea together. :)
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a find! She's looking bigger even since I first saw her... which wasn't too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect! I love it - have fun playing!

    LEann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone is going to want such a cute set!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dotsie,

    How absolutely adorable. What a sweetheart. That tea set is perfect.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...