Tuesday, September 28, 2010

where exactly?


So, after admiring that beautiful gazebo we climbed the stairs and headed up the path toward the beautiful home called Grey Towers. If you had passed us you might have overheard me: "How can we have known each other 42 years and you've never brought me to this marvelous place before? Just a few miles from where you grew up?" The Gardener sheepishly concluded that maybe it was closed and off the radar for awhile ... and I guess it never came to his mind until recently. Well, it was the perfect day for a visit, I'll give him that. A cool, crisp, sunny morning before his nephew's nearby wedding.


I've always heard that the Gardener saw--in person--JFK give a speech about 50 days before his 
tragic assassination. But I didn't know this was where that took place. Apparently 
the President had been dedicating the property to be an institute for conservation studies.


The Gardener looked around, a little confused. After all, he was just a young teen and
 that was a long time ago. Where exactly had he stood and where had the President stood?


So we asked a docent––young, mind you, where JKF had stood in relation to the crowd. 
When she heard that "G" had been an eyewitness she exclaimed with such delight 
I just had to chuckle inside. "You really were here? Wow!" Ancient history to her.
 (Which might make us antiques.) She eagerly took us to the exact place.


Now, the Gardener is from a small town where few move away and everyone 
knows everyone's business; the entire town wouldn't miss such an event. Little did our 
docent realize that in a few hours we'd be in a wedding hall where everyone our age or 
older most likely had been at that historic occasion. 

More Grey Towers to follow.



9 comments:

  1. How wonderful. Great photos. Have a happy week.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice photos of what seems to be a lovely place and good memory. I hope we will see more.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me smile! I'm happy to have my memories but explain that to someone younger!

    Your pictures are gorgeous!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most interesting. I look forward to reading and seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, you are the ancient ones, aren't you. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well from "Antique" to another "Antique" thank you for such an interesting post! I noticed your love of Africa just now and only today I have bought a book ready for my holiday .... The Flame Trees of Thika by Elspeth Huxley. I don't know if you have read it or seen the DVD, but I am really looking forward to reading about Elspeth's childhood in Kenya around 1910.
    Also I love your photos of the round buildings - you are a very good photographer!
    Enjoy your days,
    Val xx Oxfordshire UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful place.
    I guess I'm an antique too - I remember when.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:12 AM

    Gorgeous, and I love the stories that come with it!
    Wishing you a lovely day,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I think about all the things we've seen in our lifetime.....we really have lived history!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...