Saturday, September 04, 2010

touching up

A somber mother watches as her son hops on a canal boat headed down to the bustling capital of Amsterdam. Once he reaches America, will she ever see him again? Tears spill down her cheeks as she goes back into the tavern and picks up her dish towel and continues to shine the glasses she has washed.

Over in the new world, a young man weary from his carpentry work, picks up his worn lunch pail and heads for home across a bridge over the Penny Pack Canal. When he opens the door of his modest home, he is bombarded with the rich aroma of a casserole coming out of the oven. The house is very small, but his wife keeps it spotlessly clean. A bit of lace and some fresh garden flowers in a juice glass adorn the worn table where the dinnerware lies ready for their meal.

Today I took a plastic cup with a small bit of paint and went up the ladder to do some touch up painting. Every time I dipped the brush into the paint I thought of my dad. I realized how many times I'd seen him do some dab painting with a similar small cup.

Then I began to marvel at how much of what I do everyday is similar to how someone else did it in my past. The blood of the generations before me courses through my veins, and with it genes that play a part in who I am. And its not just the blood connection--a lot of it stems from living with someone. So much of what I do is because of how my parents did things ... and they like their parents ... and eventually we get back to the little house on the creek in Pennsylvania (my grandfather), and the tavern in the small Holland town (my great grandfather).

It's fascinating when you think about it. I guess sometimes we just can't help but be who we are. How fun it would be to really get a glimpse into my ancestors' lives. But I guess I have to look no further than at myself.


Posted originally three years ago this month. Connecting with Chari's Sunday Favorites

13 comments:

  1. Hi Podso,
    Good post! It reminds me of how my grandfather must have felt to see my Mom off on a ship to Canada with other war brides all those years ago.

    Have a good weekend,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podso,
    Beautiful post. Your writing is thoughtful and well done.

    Have a great weekend.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said and very thought provoking. Yesterday, my son asked why I did something a certain way. "Because that's how my grandmother did it" came the answer. Now I'm wondering how she came to do the small kitchen task in such a way.

    Yes, the doll house is still a part of Science and Industry and I love it. Could that be a little "adventure" for you and "small one" when she's older??

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Podso,
    What a wonderful tribute and sentiment. I was hanging on every word.
    God bless our ansestors for paving the way for us!!!
    Beautiful post, my friend!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post - it obviously says something special to many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the sweetest post. I love it. The visual of the bit of lace and flowers is wonderful. :)

    Oh, I found out that ancestry.com is free through Monday. Take a trip there, if you have time. I think I might.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have quite a heritage too!
    Quite. ....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoyed this Podso...well written and so sweet...

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charming and sweet post! I am reminded or my grandma and Dad, they aren't with me anymore but the lessons they taught me remain!

    Your words paint such a wonderful picture! Thanks for sharing!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dotsie...

    I loved reading this post! I didn't know that you're ancestory is from Holland! It really is interesting isn't it...we not only inherit our physical characteristics from our parents/grandparents but we also inherit or learn their "ways"! I just found out a few years back that my great-great-grandfather was an interior designer! It really just boggles my mind...this would be a man who lived during the mid to late 1800's! Maybe that is where my love of decorating came from! Hehe! There are photos of him in our little local museum performing his trade. Isn't that awesome!

    Well my friend, thank you so much for sharing this sweet post with us for Sunday Favorites this week! I learned just a little more about you today!!!

    Have a safe and wonderful Labor Day weekend, Dotsie!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very touching! I often think of my dad lately as well. I found a bunch of old pictures with some unknown relatives. Since my dad passed away I guess I will never know who they were but in some way contributed in building up my part of the world. Thanks for sharing.

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Oh, such a beautifully written post! I just had a similar conversation with my dad over the phone about these very things. We laughed over how if we had paid a little more attention to what our ancestors did, we wouldn't have to relearn everything. :)
    Have a wonderful weekend - oh, and I brought the paper fairy dress indoors - I'll probably use it in decorating or to adorn a package.
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...