Monday, September 20, 2010

great battles


We had a patient recently that was very difficult to care for. When eventually we learned all 
she is dealing with in her life, it became totally understandable. She is a good reminder that it's 
so easy (and so wrong) to judge someone else on what we see, when we don't have a clue 
what's really going on inside his or her life.

I read this quote recently in a newsletter: "Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a 
great battle." So said Philo of Alexandria.  No more needs to be said.

my uncle's photo, circa 1950. I like to think that I am the little one in the pink hat, but the 
jury's still out on that. That's not my dad, though, he has the big hat on in the foreground.

7 comments:

  1. The big question is--who were you all rooting for?

    I do try to stop and think about what's going on in the life of someone who's being a bit (or a lot) unlikable.

    I'm feeling fall from your header.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember football games and mum corsages too. :)

    And love your quote...a good reminder. Very good.

    Have a wonderful day. I'm hugging you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous old colour photo. Don't those young people look old?......they'd been through WWII and knew all about the value of the life they had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are under that pink bonnet! Quite cute!
    Great smile on your dad!
    GREAT quote that I've been thinking upon as you don't really know what people are going through, even those you know well. They have to trust you and be vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. I needed to hear this. It is so easy (and wrong) to judge with no context. Every person has an inner life I will never know or fully understand. I need to learn compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great quote and a good reminder!

    Your dad is a very handsome man.

    Oh my I have forgotten about football mums. That is a blast from my past =]

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...